Trading my Macbook Pro for a Macbook & Mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Littleodie914, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Hey guys, I've been using a Macbook Pro at college since August of this year, and it's been working out alright for me, no huge complaints. I really don't need this much of a computer though, and feel weird carrying it around sometime, when all my friends have Macbooks and older iBooks.

Also, I would like to be able to have something that I can just take around the dorm and to class without having to freak out about losing my entire college life if I lose my laptop, and it'd be nice to come back to the dorm and have my desktop waiting for me. So, here's what I'm wondering.

If I wanted to switch my Macbook Pro for a Macbook and a Mac Mini, what would be my best option? I can only assume Apple doesn't offer refunds or anything like that, especially since was BTO from the Apple Store online. Thanks for the help and advice, you guys are and always have been great! ;)

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I don't think you should switch. You could get an external drive, so you wouldn't loose your entire college career. You cannot return BTO computers. Stock ones only for 14 days, with a restocking fee. Therefore, you're only option if you do this would be to sell your computer. You would loose value this way. If you really want a mini, keep the MBP, and buy a mini. It's not really easy to "loose" a laptop. But, I guess...you could try selling on the forums or ebay if you really want. Seems silly to me. You're friends having older comps doesn't seem like a reason to me to sell the comp.

3. Littleodie914 thread starter macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Yea, I've been looking around on eBay for a cheap/older quicksilver or some other G4 desktop that I could use. It wasn't that I'm just switching so I can have the same type of computers as my friends, it's just I'm realizing that I don't need this much of a computer. The most processor-intensive thing this laptop has ever done is probably very light iMovie work, or maybe ripping iTunes CD's. I've got an old clamshell iBook I'm thinking about dismantling and turning into a desktop, per se. (Basically leaving it plugged in and sticking a mouse + keyboard to it.)

4. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

dude keep it.... i would trade my macbook for macbook pro in heartbeat

5. mac000 macrumors 6502a

dude trade your macbook pro for a mini and macbook and ur looking for a quicksilver G4 on ebay or somethign? are you crazy?

just get a external harddrive and a external display connect the mbp to ur external display - get a keyboard and mouse and there is your desktop at the dorm.

if you feel weird carrying ur macbook pro because ur friends have macbook and older ibooks, im sure someone here will be able to take it off ur hands real quick, and i mean real quick. thats a top of the line laptop buddy

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't get this thread at all. Trading your MBP for a slower MacBook and a Mac Mini that's desperate for an update and not even worth the sale price minus 30% discount? My mind is about to explode from all the strangeness.

7. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Same here, this doesn't make any sense...

BTW abstract, congrats on your posting milestone!

8. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

August of this year? Show me your time machine!

Your best bet would be to sell it via Marketplace and last resort: eBay. If you are okay with refurbs (which many are) then I'd suggest buying a MB and MM refurbished.

9. Littleodie914 thread starter macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

It's not that I'm looking for a slower computer, it's just I was looking at what I would do if I was heading off to college again, and was re-evaluating my "computer needs." Instead of the MBP, I probably would have gone with a more durable, student-friendly Macbook and a Mac Mini for desktop/dorm use.

I'm going to keep the MBP, and then I took apart an old blue clamshell we had lying around the house and frankenstein-ed it so it looks like just the monitor. I'm gonna plug an external hard drive into it, along with my wireless keyboard and mouse.

I think I just have computer OCD... Sorry guys :eek: Thanks for the advice though!