Trading Spouses

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yg17, Nov 10, 2005.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I normally don't watch reality TV shows, but I fell victim to an interesting commercial.

The last 2 episodes of Trading Spouses with that insane, Christain extremist pig...anyone else watch it? I just can't believe how anyone could be so damn intolerant of anyone else's beliefs. She's past the point of insanity.

2. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Well, at least we can rest assured that you are tolerant of people with different belief systems.

3. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

i dont know anything about that... but i would like to trade my partner if thats possible :D ;)

4. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

I'm tolerant of other religious beliefs as long as they're tolerant. But I'm intolerant of anyone else who is intolerant. :D

5. fayans macrumors 6502a

fayans

I read it somewhere that in German, if I remember it right, there is a monthly party where couples trade spouses for fun. How true it is? I don't know. :rolleyes:

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I was flipping channels one day and came across this show - its not about being tolerant of people with different belief systems here - the people are specifically chosen on this show to be a problem/annoyance/"I can't believe they do that" type of thing so there is more draaama.

I got sick of watching it almost immediately and haven't seen it since.

D

7. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

well im not going to sit here and tolerate that!!!!! :D ;)

8. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I haven't seen the show, but that sounds like what I would have expected (i.e. the producers specifically pick contestants that they expect to create conflict).

I was just picking on yg17 and his lack of tolerance for intolerant people (which I am guilty of as well). Sort of the same thing as people who are in favor of free speech as long as they agree with what the other guy's saying. ;)

9. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Oh, I know they purposly pick the familes. But the astrological family, despite the huge disagreement, did not go nuts like she did.

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

hahaha, sorry, way too much information there - I'm not sure I want to know about the "Astrological Family" :D

D

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I watched it too. That woman was insane! If you saw it last week, you also know her friends were a bunch of idiots too.

12. jdechko macrumors 68040

Agreed... I am a pretty devout Christian myself, but I realize that everyone is entitled to his or her own beliefs. I won't try to push them on someone, but I have no problem sharing if I am asked. People like that lady, though, make me mad, whether Christian or not, by trying to force beliefs on others. People like that are very bad for the causes they represent, because people see them and form judgments about others.

Also, I do believe in some of the things that she was talking about, but its a much deeper subject that ought to be reserved for the political forum... (aka: are there any pentecostal's here? ;) )

13. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

If you didnt see the episode here is why it was worth watching:

a VERY large white woman, with a missing front tooth is sent to live with a "new-age" family, and vice versa. But the only interesting part is Mrs. Crazy, so Ill focus only on that.

The New Age husband is a radio astrologist or something of that nature.

mrs. crazy hear this as she sits down in the studio with him, and immediately becomes upset, enraged and a WARRIOR FOR GOD.

it becomes apparent she thinks new age means EVIL and as she put it "DARK SIDED!!!!!" so she doesnt participate.

later she tries to get all the new age kids to believe in god and goto church, they all say ummmm no.

later on she drags them all to church. She says she has been very tolerant, and yet never did anything the new age people wanted, only what she wanted.

All the details about what they did/didnt do aside here comes the good stuff.

When the spouses went back to their homes this crazy woman lost it. The fire in her eyes was WELL worth time I spent watching the episode up to this point.

She screams "WORST TIME OF MY LIFE!" "SHES NOT A CHRISTIAN!! AAHHHHHHHHHHHHH! SHES ONE OF THE DARK SIDED!!!!!!!" it was beauty. her whole family, who I assume shares her beliefs, were shocked and dumfounded.

And if you didnt know how the show works, in the end the OTHER spouse decides how the family gets $50,000 alloted to them.

The crazy lady of course used some of the new agers money to buy them ALL King James bibles....a dirt bike and $36k for the family. OH didnt I mention she gave $3k to a son, the dirt bike to another and $3k to the MOM to decide how to give to the DAUGHTER, talk about sexism from a friggen lady!

Anyway, the new age mom left the $50k to the crazy lady in this fashion:

$10k for the kids to MOVE OUT, now thats funny
    small amounts for blah blah
    and $20k for GASTRIC BYPASS surgery for the fat lady.

Funny thing was, and what the episode was all about (in the buildup to this point) the crazy lady took the envelope with how the money was distributed and TORE IT UP without ever opening it. Raving "THIS IS TAINTED!!!! I GIVE IT UP TO GOD I SWEAR THIS IN JESUS NAME I PRAY!!! GET OUT OF MY HOUSE I WILL NOT HAVE DARK SIDE IN HERE! EVERYONE GET OUT IF YOU DONT BELIEVE IN JESUS, IF YOU DO YOU CAN STAY BUT THOSE WHO DONT, GET OUT!!!! I AM WARRIOR!!!" i shiiite you not , this is almost verbatim.

And then the episode ends.

When some text pops up and it says "upon further review the crazy lady has decided to take the money"

So with that we all know she was a crazy bitch hippocrit.

Whats more, for all you people who ARE christians and the like:

She said she had to bring them (the new agers) to a CATHOLIC church. And she rants and raves on and on about being CHRISTIAN. now I know catholics are christians, but correct me if im wrong isnt a Catholic saying she is Christian seen as bad as a Puerto Rican claiming cuban status or something? Like Christians dont want to hear a Catholic say they are anything but a Catholic.

14. efoto macrumors 68030

It's not just in Germany, it's common in the US and other countries as well. Swinger Parties they call them. Often the men drop their watches into a bowl and the women pick them out and then whichever man matches the watch they choose, they go off and have a fun night.

I could do it no problem, but I don't have a wife to give anyone else. Once I get married, I'd have no problem having another woman choose me for the night, but I'd be damned if some other guy is going to mess with my lady :rolleyes: Double-standard what? :p

15. martin1000 macrumors regular

Hypocrites! I got sucked into the episode. Never saw it before in my life. I was astounded when the credits rolled and said she took the money.

Has anyone seen Amazing Race with the Born Again Florida family with the mother praying every chance she gets that they beat the other teams. Doesn't sound very Christian to me.

I am so sick of these extremists!!!

16. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Heard of this same thing but instead of using watches the husbands throw thier car keys into a bowl and the wives go home with whoevers car keys they pulled.

17. efoto macrumors 68030

The one I heard about, from a friend who went :eek:, consisted of them all staying at the same mansion as a 'security precaution'. Going home would weird, welcoming someone into your house for the sole purpose of sex, whereas just having your own room knowing your partner is nearby, well apparently that's fine :p :confused:

18. jdechko macrumors 68040

Never heard of this... I have several friends who are Catholic... some practicing, some just go to a Catholic church. I've never really been a big fan of the denominational lables, anyway. There are certain beliefs that a church needs to have in my mind to be labeled Christian, and the Catholic church meets them for me, so I have no problem calling them a Christian church... after all, they were the first Christian church, and all the other denominations emerged from that one.

19. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

20. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Is she a) a redhead and b) 30 years old?

also, NFC

21. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

22. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    google://swingers
    google://"key%20party"

Very 70s but...

My grandmother in her 80s chimed in once with a story about these parties happening in the 40s. This was after she sat in on a rather raunchy orgy story pretending she only spoke German... (She was born in Chicago...)

23. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Catholics are Christians by almost definitions.

There are some protestant groups that view the whole saints thing as being a little too heathen, especially when it comes to praying to them. Likewise some protestant groups go a little far into the "gifts of the spirit" realm (for lack of a better description and get excluded for gnosticism.

Mormons are sometimes considered Christians. Partially FUD, partially legitimate concerns over beliefs.

The Mooneys and other cults are almost never considered Christians...
    #include kitten_in_oven.h

24. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Instead of setting people up for conflict, they should throw in a curve one time where they set spouses up with someone who's actually quite amazing, and a great fit personality-wise for each spouse.

Then watch to see if they go home afterwards, or stay. :p

25. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Was that not the premise (more or less) of "Temptation Island", a few years back? ;)