Trafford Centre, Manchester UK

Discussion in 'iPad Launch Meetups' started by Dodgeroo, Apr 14, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

In the UK news? thread, there are plenty of people mentioning that they will getting theirs from the Trafford Centre. Of course, we don't know if there will be pre-orders, in-store reservations or anything yet, but if I can't pre-order mine then this is where I will probably be.

If so, it will be my first trip to an Apple store. I have a touch, iPhone and Macbook, but all were ordered online. Any experience from previous launches (esp at the Trafford Centre) that anyone can share?

Also, where abouts in the Trafford Centre is the store? I'm not too mobile, so the less walking I have to do to get there the better! :eek:

2. macrumors 6502

Mobility scooters are available from next to John Lewis if you need them. The store is between John Lewis and Selfridges, its on the upper level. If you are approaching from John Lewis end, its on your right.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info Streethawk. Fortunately, I'm not quite at that stage, though I do walk with a stick. I'm hoping not to get bowled over if there is a mad rush! ;)

4. macrumors member

TerryJoyce

So I know the details of the date of release and ordering info is not out yet but who is thinking about going to the Trafford Center to wait in line??

Has anyone been to the Trafford Center before with the previous launches? Do the center allow you to stay in the building or do we have to wait outside??

Terry

5. macrumors 6502a

I was there for the iPhone 3GS launch. It was a very civilised affair and very friendly. The Trafford Centre opened early just for the event. No other shops open so no other shoppers there, it was very eerie at first. I joined a line of around a dozen which grew over the hour or so before the store opened. People were let into the shop a few at a time so it didn't get crowded. They even provided us with coffee and I think it was cookies.

Attached Files:

6. macrumors member

TerryJoyce

That sounds good. I am just now thinking do I take the morning off work and go down and join the queue or order online.

What time were people there from??

7. macrumors 6502a

The picture was just before they started letting people in at 8am. I have been there since just after 7am.

8. macrumors member

TerryJoyce

Sounds like I don't have to go the night before like in the USA. Now just wondering if there is anyone else who is going to be there. Oh and seek permission from the wife.

9. macrumors regular

I'll be at the Trafford Centre on launch day if we are allowed to pre-order for pickup in store. I really hope we get some sort of pre-order details before Monday.

10. macrumors 6502a

You should be able to order and pickup in store. I don't think you will get any more details before Monday. Thats why they have said we hear on Monday.

11. macrumors 6502

I'm actually off work already that day, off to a bike meet in the Yorkshire Dales for the weekend, but i dont leave until early afternoon so a trip to the TC in the morning, synch to Netbook in Starbucks and check everything works ok, then off to the 'dales with my iPad on my bike :D

I should be pretty easy to spot, being dressed in bike kit and lugging my crash helmet around.

12. macrumors member

TerryJoyce

I will more than likely see you there.

13. macrumors 6502

I'm torn between Trafford Centre/Arndale.
    Which will have bigger and better queues + free food? :D

14. thread starter macrumors regular

Free tea and biccies is all it takes to win you over huh? ;)

15. macrumors 6502

I'd say TC, easier and free parking, less traffic on a Friday morning (If it does happen to be a morning release).

16. macrumors 6502a

It's looking decidedly dodgy for pre-ordering and collect on the 28th.

17. macrumors regular

Yep I won't be at the Trafford Centre on launch day as there was no option to collect in store. Will be waiting in for the postie instead!

18. thread starter macrumors regular

Likewise :(

Shame, but at least I avoid an early morning nightmare of wrestling with public transport.

19. macrumors 6502

Undecided yet, i'm going to go into the Arndale store this afternoon and ask how they expect the in-store launch to work. I i have to be there at stupid o-clock in the morning then that's fine. I'd rather do that than wait on the postie when i have to be away on hols by 2pm.

20. macrumors 6502a

I am not giving up on the idea of collecting on 28th. I was looking forward to it. Apple sales person said there is a good chance that you will be able to select pickup a bit later on.

21. macrumors 6502

Given that I've pre-ordered, do you think it'd be a total let down if I queued anyway and bought a new set of earphones instead :D

Just to soak in the atmosphere.

22. macrumors newbie

iChristopher

It's a fantastic store. I'm in there most weeks!

23. macrumors 6502a

Not a let down at all. There may be the free coffee again, Krispy Kreme doughnuts and lots of witty banter :)

24. macrumors 6502

DON'T TEMPT ME FRODO.

25. macrumors 6502

Any idea how early we can actually get into the TC?