Trager Hipster Laptop Bag

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by out of sight, Apr 21, 2004.

1. out of sight macrumors newbie

I've looked through the various posts about bags for Powerbooks and, finally!, decided on the 'Hipster Laptop' bag by Trager.

I'm posting to see if anyone has got one of these bags? Are they any good?

I live in the UK so I won't be able to handle one of these bags in the flesh before I buy so I'm looking for a few good recommendations...

Your advice would be very much appreciated. Cheers.

PS Why can't I add in an avatar? The 'Edit Avatar' screen doesn't seem to give me the option to add one in! The 'Edit Profile Picture' brings up the option to add a photo from my hard drive but the Edit Avatar doesn't...any ideas?!

2. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

You only have 499 more posts to go until you can attach an avatar. :p

3. out of sight thread starter macrumors newbie

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well, I don't have the Hipster, but I do have the Tom Bihn Empire Builder and my wife has the Tom Bihn ID. We are both very happy with our bags, the build quality is excellent, the design is well thought out, they are comfortable to wear when heavily loaded, and the ability to remove the laptop sleeve is excellent when you need more room in your bag or only want to take the laptop. I think you'll love the Trager.

5. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

6. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

That sucks. I'm going to start posting more than necessary (not spamming, just posting even when advice has been given). If I knew before, I would be a more active poster instead of reader.

I'm getting the $40 monolith from Tom Bihn in Blue or Steel (not sure yet). Hard outside, soft foam inside!

7. rinseout macrumors regular

Tom Bihn = invitation for mugging?

I've considered getting a Tom Binh ID bag + brain cell to carry around my things along with the 12" PB I use. What I was wondering was whether these bags (or this bag) is the kind of bag that advertises that you're carrying a computer. I wouldn't want to be mugged... I live in a large city in a poorer neighbourhood, and muggings are common.

There's always people who say "don't make it obvious you're carrying a computer," and sometimes it can be really obvious if somebody is carrying a Targus bag of some kind or else one of those HUGE laptop backpacks, or something with the Dell logo on it or whatever. But is a messenger bag like the one I mentioned one of these "obvious" bags? Were I to see one, I'd probably think that there's a possibility of a computer in there, but not as strong a possibility as a black nylon Targus shoulder bag, say.

Is a Tom Bihn messenger bag hazardous to your health?

8. Hwnlocalgurl macrumors newbie

I've also seen posts about having laptop bags. That you should buy something else and put it in a regular bag? I was thinking of getting the Soft Sleeve Protection:Mitre for my laptop, well when I get one.

9. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I don't think you have to worry about being mugged for you computer. I have yet to meet anyone who has been mugged for a computer. The reason to mug someone is usually for cash/items easily turned into cash.

You may want to check out www.acmemade.com for their bags. I have and am very happy with i t.

10. rinseout macrumors regular

In a sense, the ID bag is a regular (messenger-style) bag, and your computer is in something else (the removable Brain Cell). I just wonder whether this bag configured this way looks like a laptop bag for the intent and purpose of avoiding being mugged.

People around here get jumped for cell phones, whether or not they're being used at the time (usually just a couple of thugs that threaten you and say "gimme yer mobile!" which any thinking person complies with), and I have encountered those who have had their computers ripped off. This is a real concern in some places.

11. out of sight thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your input everyone.

So...no one actually owns a Trager Hipster Laptop bag?! Still looking for that glowing recommendation!

Only 497 posts til that avatar!

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I used the Monolith for about a year while I was still in school so I could put my TiBook in my backpack. I loved it, the only reason I switched was that I needed a more professional look than a backpack gives when I go to meet clients and stuff. Thus my move to the Empire Builder.

And no, I really don't think the Empire Builder (or the ID for that matter) screams 'I contain a laptop' at all. Since the Brain Cell is removable, there's no way to ever know if there truly IS a laptop in there. For instance I almost always have my laptop with me, but my wife only occasionally needs to put her Brain Cell in her ID, so most of the time hers doesn't contain one. There's just no way to tell.

13. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

When I first saw the subject line, I (seriously) thought you were asking about a "Tragic Hipster" laptop bag. I figured maybe Crumpler had come up with their best bag name ever! :D

I have a Crumpler bag, and love it. Haven't heard anyone comment one way or the other regarding the Trager Hipster.

14. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Bringing back some old blood, but I'm going to be purchasing a laptop bag tonight for a trip to Orlando. I also plan to use the bag to carry a $2500 Sony DCR-VX2000 camera around. The camera is as long as my 15 inch aluminum PowerBook and about 4 or 5 inches wide. Thanks guys!

15. hello world macrumors newbie

hello world

Mugged, maybe not. But theft for sure. I've seen it happen frequently enough that I've got my 15" in a Waterfield in an unsightly, ragged backpack.

16. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Let's scroll to the bottom of the message and answer the RIGHT question, please! :D :D ;)