Trainer Killed at SeaWorld - Orlando

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by ucfgrad93, Feb 24, 2010.

1. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Wow, this is so sad. I have been to this particular SeaWorld many times. I love the shows, especially the killer whales.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,587368,00.html

2. macrumors P6

MacDawg

Tragic

Thoughts and prayers with families and friends
    :(

3. macrumors 6502a

see, i told them to free willy...no they say...

killer whale: "what am i, here for your amusement??"

4. macrumors 604

ravenvii

The actual article and whatever you quoted looks like completely different stories. The trainer didn't just slip or fall into the tank,

5. macrumors 6502

emiljan

Another tragic death because of stupid ignorance.

Seriously what part of "killer whale" do these people not get.

6. thread starter macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

They must have updated the page, because I just copied then pasted for the quote.

That is just terrible. The question now, is what to do with the whale.

7. macrumors 68040

elppa

Personally I think this tragedy should mean that an end it put to this practice. I mean look at the statistics… no amount of spin can make them anything other than terrible. You can't keep whales in a tank. Or if you can, we're not doing it right.

And the captures are all full of class and care. Here's a nice account from wikipedia:

8. macrumors 601

eawmp1

Let's keep our PETA tirades to ourselves for today. A woman, living her lifelong dream to work with orcas died doing what she loved. Details are still emerging as to the precise circumstances. Our thoughs go to her family, coworkers, and witnesses to this tragedy.

9. macrumors 68040

elppa

That is a good way to marginalise those with alternative viewpoints. Put them in the PETA tirade box. Whatever works for you.

I have every sympathy for those involved. It is, as I said, a tragedy.

10. macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

I'd close all these places down in a shot if I had the authority. Seeing animals in cages, metaphorical ones in the case of Sea World, fills me with disgust. It's only the lack of empathy in the dopes that go that keep these businesses alive. For the love of everything wild stop going to these hell holes. My only hope is that the animal will be released into the wild but I doubt it.

11. macrumors regular

12. macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Don't be surprised if the more loony of our U.S. brethren call for the animals execution.

13. macrumors 68000

greygray

This is truly tragic. My condolences to the late trainer's family. :(

14. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You let the whale go! There should be no question there.

I feel for the woman and her family but if someone suggests the whale to be put down then they're crazy. This is a wild animal not meant to be a show pony. It's been going on for ages and they do treat the whales well, but it's still wild and will likely always have that instinct.

Such a tragedy though and very sad on many levels.

15. macrumors 6502

I'm not sure that's something that can be done easily.

I have to be honest, I have been to the show in 2008, and I must say that at the time I enjoyed it, a lot. I thought it was very well done. Of course, after reading this thread, I would not support again the show.

My younger daughter loved it, she has a delay in her development and at the time she was 3, she did not speak much and I was not sure if she was able to remember or make reference to facts that she experienced. She still remembers Shamu and since that day every time she sees a killer whale on a book she says "Shamu-Shamu".
    My other daughter, since seeing the dolphin show in San Diego, wants to work with dolphins.

I understand all the hate and controversy this story can bring, but today is a tragic day for a lady who lived her life for the orcas and loved them and was killed by one, there is no reason to bash or discuss the rightfulness of these type of shows. Let's leave this discussion to another thread.

I just wanted to share my story to disclose that, although controversial, these shows, made by people who dedicate their life to these animals, have made some good to someone.

16. macrumors 6502a

No sympathy. They're wild animals - it's to be expected.

All the people who have paid to gawp at this ridiculous spectacle in the past, keeping the theme park open, are equally to blame for this tragedy.

17. macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I feel deeply uneasy every time I go to Seaworld or the zoo. Just can never quite shake that feeling, and I normally don't care about animals in any special way. Yet I understand why we have them.

Can they let it go? That one's been in captivity for at least 19 years according to that article (he first was involved in someone's death in 1991). And this is the third death this whale's been mixed up in, although the 2nd sounds like a Darwin Award incident.

I thought they'd have to put it down. Can't release it, can't trust it to be tame, only a dozen trainers would work with it before and I bet that number'll go down now.

18. macrumors 6502a

According to a colleague speaking on the news, "she loved [the whales] to death".

Not the best choice of words.

19. macrumors 601

eawmp1

You politicized a death. Your intentions may be noble, but your timing is off.

20. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

How about not putting the largest mammals on the planet in ****ing swimming pools for tourists to come and gawk at?

21. macrumors 603

you know they call them KILLER whales for a reason.

22. Guest

iGary

Sounds like a good start.

It's criminal what we do to these magnificent creatures, honestly.

23. macrumors Core

miles01110

At least Great White Sharks really stick it to us by dying almost immediately when placed in a large tank.

24. macrumors 6502a

This is such a sad story. My condolences go out to the poor woman's family.
    I really hope they do not put down the whale. The whale should either be taken out of the shows for good and left at SeaWorld, or transferred to another facility for the remainder of its life.

25. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That's a good point and one to consider. I don't agree with killing it though. Perhaps sticking it in a tank for the remainder of his life is key, albeit sad, but you're right. And yes, this isn't the first incident for this whale. After the first they really should not have attempted to tame it.