Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MajereXYU

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2005
Hi.

I'd like to know 2 things.

1 : is there a good program for both OSX and Windows that I can use to network my Mac and PC using Firewire? (IP over Firewire).

2 : Alternatively, can I boot my Mac in Disk Target Mode (or some such name I don't remember the exact wording) and have my PC see it as a drive and copy files to/from it?

I can't test it at the moment as my PC is on a plane on its way to my home (just bought the parts for my newest build and old one is sold).

Thanks.

P-S: I know I can use 100mbps Ethernet, but hey, if I can get 400mbps Firewire transfer, why not give it a try?

Calvinatir

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2003
LA
yes you can use the firewire to create a firewire network, what you want to do is connect them, then assign them IP's. If you are using our Ethernet port for internet and your router is using the 192.168, then assign your firewire IP's such like..

Mac
10.0.1.1 255.255.255.0

PC
10.0.1.2 255.255.255.0

Then on your mac go to the finder and Apple+K to connect to a server and enter in smb:\10.0.1.2 or navigate with the finder into the network and find the PC. Also turn PC file sharing on in the Sharing part of the System Preferences, and to make it easier from the PC side, go into Utilities then Directory Access and change the SMB to be on the same workgroup as the PC is.

MajereXYU

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2005
Wow! Fast reply!

I didn't know that the functionality was built right into the O.S.

I thought I needed a special program.

How would I go about assigning IP's ?

Did you ever try transferring files this way? Is it reliable and most importantly, fast?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Calvinatir

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2003
LA
is it very fast, with the mac it is very easy to assign the IP's. Go to System Pref's and select Network. If Firewire does NOT show in the list with stuff like Airport, internal modem or ethernet then you need to 'Show--> Built in Firewire"
If that is not in the list you must select 'Network Port Configurations' and click on Firewire.

Then go back up to the Show and select the Firewire; and instead of DHCP select Manual. LEave subnet mask the same but change IP to 10.0.1.1. boom, mac is done.

The pc you have to go into Network connections right click and get properties, then configure the TCP/IP settings. Uncheck automatically and enter your own IP stuff. LEave the DNS automatic. then apply that and connect them together. any other Q's just ask

jbusse

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2004
This works awesome and from the mac side you can get to any shared files on the PC, and thats awesome in and of itself.. but from the PC, you can only connect the network drive to the root user account and not to another partition is where the files you want are... anyone know how to fix this on the XP side?

The network setup options do not give a peep to peer option other than com 1 lolz

Thanks

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
That's a problem on the mac side. It isn't sharing the proper partitions. You can use FTP and then cd to that partition. You can then use IE to attach using FTP and right-click and copy the contents to wherever you'd like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.