Tranferring software to new Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by marcb, Jun 2, 2006.

1. marcb macrumors newbie

Jun 2, 2006
    I'm thinking of buying a new Intel powered mac (G5) and want to know if there's a simple way of transferring my existing software without having to re-install it all from the installation CDs. I currently have a G5 running 10.3.9. It's probably a stupid question I know, but can anyone help?

2. Balli macrumors 6502

Intel Macs and G5 are totally different. G5 is from the PowerPC line of processors.
  3. lonepilgrim macrumors regular

Feb 9, 2006
    You should be able to use a Firewire cable / Migration Assistant / target disk mode (hold down T while booting and that machine will display like a hard drive on the other machine).

As the previous poster points out, the G5 and Intel mac are powered by different processors. What this will likely mean for you is that all the software you transfer from your old Mac won't be native on your new one, and you should expect a perfomance hit.
  4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    i would recommend looking for updates for any of the major software you use, as many companies have released universal binaries (intel native versions) for their apps, at least the smaller apps... check, or the software developer's website directly...
  5. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    In any case, it's probably a better idea to just reinstall the software from scratch.