Transfer AppleCare to new owner... how?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jlanuez, Oct 11, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502

Today I sold a G5 Quad that has :apple:AppleCare through 01/09.
    How do I transfer this policy to the new owner now?

2. macrumors member

You may transfer this Plan to a new owner of the Covered Equipment by sending or faxing notice of transfer to AppleCare Administration, P.O. Box 149125, Austin, TX 78714 — 9125, U.S. (fax number 512 — 674 — 8125). You must provide the Plan Agreement Number, the serial numbers of the Covered Equipment being transferred, proof of purchase of the Plan, and the name, address, telephone number and email address of the new owner.

Hope that helps! :)

3. macrumors 68000

kuebby

I always believed (and was told this when I bought a MBP from a MR member) that the warranty is attached to the serial number of the machine not the name of the owner.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

THANK YOU!
    Is there a telephone I can call first?

It is tied to a specific machine's serial number, but also the owners name, address... I did hear that I need to officially "transfer" it to the new owner. So when they call, it will be in their name, etc...

5. macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....yes, but when you register the computer and the applecare with Apple your name, address etc is also registered. When transfering they would want all that info as well as the serial number so that the records all match up so that it "makes sense" instead of possibly seeing 2 different names/addresses attached to the computer....oh yeah!

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

Doh! I just found the number right on the agreement. 1-800-APL-CARE

7. macrumors member

You're very welcome! :)

8. thread starter macrumors 6502

I called, they took down all the info and gave me a case#, THAN told me I'd have to fax a letter, and my original receipt. So I'll do that now. Too bad I can't do it on-line, would make it much easier (maybe that's the point, make it harder and some people wont bother)

9. macrumors regular

I had to do this when I sold my iMac recently, and all I can say is that I wish they'd let me sort it out online myself, as going through Apple here in the UK was a performance! Mind you, I'm having the same again just trying to change the date of purchase on my new MBP. It's like they're one sentence away from calling me a liar, and asking for this piece of paperwork from the retailer and then that's not good enough, fax this, fax that, etc. Haven't they heard of email and attachments at Apple? They really need a lesson in good customer service over here sometimes! :(

10. macrumors member

ryansebiz

I'm amazed at how difficult this is. From the AppleCare Terms and Conditions:

6. Transfer of Plan

You may transfer this Plan to a new owner of the Covered Equipment by sending, faxing or e-mailing notice of transfer to Apple Inc., ATTN: Agreement Administration, MS: 217AC, 2511 Laguna Blvd, Elk Grove, CA 95758, U.S., fax number 916-399-7337 or agmts_transfer@apple.com, respectively. You must provide the Plan Agreement Number, the serial numbers of the Covered Equipment being transferred, proof of purchase of the Plan, and the name, address, telephone number and email address of the new owner.