Transfer big files Mac - PC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nicorojas, Jul 20, 2005.

1. nicorojas macrumors member

Jul 18, 2003
    So my friend has a DVD writer and I don't. I have a Powerbook, he has Win XP Home. I download an amazing DVD from Genesis (bootleg, not breaching any copyright laws here), a concert from 1973, with Peter Gabriel on vocals.

He wants to have it and I want to be able to see it without connecting my laptop to the TV.

I thought of using my iPod to move the files, formatting it in Fat32, and then connecting it to his pc. Is there any other way you can think? I thought of burning several cd-r, but stuffit is the only mac program I have that let me segment a compressed file, and the windows version of stuffit is crap.

Any other ideas? It would be a one time deal.
  2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    FAT32 doesn't recognize files over 2GB in space... so if it's under 2GB, then the iPod method will work fine.
    Overall, it might be simpler to just connect your computers via Ethernet or Firewire and use Windows File Sharing.

Lee Tom
  3. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    Turn on SSH access on your computer. Then install a secure file transfer program like WinSCP on the Windows computer, connect to the Mac and transfer the file.
  4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    FAT32 supports files up to 4GB minus 1 Byte.
  5. nicorojas thread starter macrumors member

Jul 18, 2003
    usb 2.0

I have also a usb 2.0 cable (from my external hard drive), but I don't know if it would work.

Can you provide me a brief step by step guide?
    pleaase :rolleyes:
  6. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    Like another post said, just hook up an ethernet cable between the two. I regularly transfer in excess of 20 GB between Macs and PC's via ethernet and SMB. Takes only a few minutes.
  7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Since you already have gotten lots of good advice, I just have to point out one thing:
    You're kidding, right...? :D

Attached Files:

8. nicorojas thread starter macrumors member

Jul 18, 2003
    as a lawyer, I can say that this particular issue is very arguable... anyway, is a amazing dvd transfer of a 16mm film of Genesis in Concert, which has never been available commercially in any format.