Transfer files between partitions (BootCamp)

Discussion in 'OS X' started by ultimateceej, Sep 17, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

ultimateceej

I was reading the "A New Mac Tip Every Day" blog and came across a post about aliasing and how it might be used for file transfers between a mac and windows partition.

Here it is:

Will anyone please explain this for me? I might be missing something stupid but oh well. Here is the link. It's the second post from the bottom.

2. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well an alias is simply a shortcut to a file or folder kept elsewhere. If the Windows side of Boot Camp can read and write with the OSX side and vice versa, the aliases (and shortcuts in Windows) could be a good way of keeping data in one place but being able to easily access it in either. It should save on some basic doubling up.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

ultimateceej

Do you know how to do this? I can't write to anything on my windows partition (duh) so I don't know where to start.

4. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well you could reformat the Windows partition as FAT32... It's probably easier to have a third partition dedicated to files you'll be using on both machines. From here it's easy to set up regular aliases and shortcuts to access these files. :)

5. thread starter macrumors regular

ultimateceej

I think that I'll just get an external HD and format it for windows and mac (FAT32 ??). I was just wondering how that person that I mentioned was able to create an alias for a folder on the Windows partition and R/W to it from both partitions.

6. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If the Windows partition was formatted as FAT32 then it would have been as simple as what you'll be doing with the external drive. :)

7. thread starter macrumors regular

ultimateceej

8. macrumors newbie

shortcut files from windows to os lion bootcamp

Hi,

I am running both OSX Lion and Windows 7 on my mac machine through boot camp. I need to know how to create a short cut to my files so i can save them in one place but read/write on both sides of the partition (windows and mac).

I can access them but cannot write to the file location as it tells me i do not have permission.

The windows partition formate is NTFS

Thanks heaps