transfer files form G4 to new G5?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by pompo, Jun 26, 2004.

1. macrumors newbie

I 'll have a new dual G5 on Monday.

What's the easier way to transfer my files from my old G4(OS 9.1) to the new G5?
    I've heard you can do it trough an ethernet cable...is it correct?

Thanks
    Pompo

2. macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...yes, you can do it through ethernet but even easier is to do it through firewire. Connect both with a firewire cable...start up your new G5....then start up the G4 in "target disk" mode by holding the "T" on the G4's keyboard when you boot. The G4's drive will then show as another volume on your G5 and you can copy away to your heart's delight. The new G5's also have an automated "migrate" feature the first time you boot them but I am not sure if it does older OS 9 installs or just OS X stuff...you can read a bit more about it here: http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/upgradetonewmac.html .....oh yeah!

3. macrumors 6502a

hi,

when you get the G5, don't install classic...

first install 9.2.2 on the G4 (normal upgrade to find at apple...)

and if you do as duff-man says ;-) target-mode... much faster than etherent... just copy all to you G5 and assign your just copied folder as the classicfolder... it should keep all your old programs in there and make them work on your G5 and you get all the rest too :-D
    keep in mind that OSX uses a different assignment for the desktop files... so you'll find the old ones in a folder on the harddrive... but you can transfer them easily where you want them...

grts

Jo