Transfer files from XP to OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JurgenWigg, Jul 23, 2006.

1. JurgenWigg macrumors 6502

JurgenWigg

Hey guys, is there any way that I can transfer my old files from XP to OS X through like a USB cable or something? I've got several gigs of stuff i need to transport, and no DVD burner to boot.

Would putting it onto my ipod be my best bet?

2. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

3. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

an external hard drive would be better but if you don't have one, use the iPod

4. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Download from wireless, if you have external hard drive use that, and use an iPod too.

It may take awhile, but it'd be faster than just transferring from iPod.

5. reh macrumors 6502a

Unless the OP only has USB 1, copying several gigs via the iPod route will be WAY faster than wireless networking.

6. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

That's correct.

7. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

set up a network and transfer files wirelessly. its very easy. just do a search for it.. its in the guides.

8. adk macrumors 68000

adk

9. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

If you have an ethernet crossover cable (note: this is not a "regular" ethernet cable but you may have one anyway since I got one with a modem) then you can connect the Mac directly to the PC for a really fast transfer rate. I use this process at home and it works really well and certainly a lot faster than a wireless connection.

If you want more information on this process then I can post the instructions so drop me a Private Message. I've noted that the information on how to do this is not currently posted in the MacRumors Guides so I really ought to formalise these instructions for convenience.

10. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

AFAIK, you do not need a crossover cable. Mac ethernet ports auto-switch to crossover mode if required.

11. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

Really? When did that happen? Something for me to test out tonight I think...

12. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I believe Apple adopted this slowly over the course of a few years. See this Knowledgebase article for more details:

Apple products that require an Ethernet crossover cable

13. sdigital macrumors newbie

Move2Mac Image?

Check this out. Bought a copy of Move2Mac from Apple Company Store, got home to try out but when attempted to register was told it had been registered already (!?). Called Detto. Meantime, time passed (and we used other solution Outlook2Mac - great product - and others). Left CD in computer somewhere and cannot find.

Anyone have an .dmg of Move2Mac? I have my old license info - just need the disk image...

My media for Move2Mac has gone missing.