transfer files to mates Mac efficiently

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Fabrix2003, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Fabrix2003 macrumors regular

I was just wondering i have files like 30 mb big we both on 1mb broadband can we link our computers over the net to transfer stuff or mount our hard drives on eachothers desktop somehow like when u network them together in the room,

whats the best solution?

thanks.

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

3. Fabrix2003 thread starter macrumors regular

ok i got that seems simple enough but do i need to use an ftp client for this aswell like cuteftp or something?

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Depends, you can mount an FTP server as read-only using Finder. But if you want full access and aren't comfortable with Terminal, grab a client like RBrowserLite (free) orTransmit (not-so-free)

There are many others, these are just two I know of.

5. Fabrix2003 thread starter macrumors regular

what has terminal have to do with it?i typed my local address like 192.168 etc follwed by a / and my short log in name and it seemed to connect when i used my mates ip address and his short name neil it asked me for the username and pass which i guess was his was i nerly there? as we didnt proceed any further? or would it of failed anyway. is it easier with freeware software?

6. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Careful - FTP is very insecure to use over the Net. If you go this route you should be looking at SFTP. OS X has it built-in via Terminal, but there are some graphical front-ends available (can't remember names right now though, sorry).

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

like I said, mounting a FTP server in Finder doesn't allow you to upload files. Terminal has an FTP client which will allows full access to an FTP server but is obviously command line only.

drlunanerd has a point, if you intend to keep this always on. Definitely look into Secure FTP.

8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Keep in mind that downloads are plenty fast, but uploads are [sometimes] painfully slow.

Here in San Diego, CA, we have 5 Mbps downloads but only 300 kbps up. Yes, thats right. 300 kilobits up, 5 Megabits down. :confused:

9. Fabrix2003 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks or the information im going to do a google search on secure ftp today and have a look what useful interfaces are available for transfering files between just the 2 of us, obviosly i am new at this but it needs to be done? if u said u had a 5mb connection and only get 300kb upload stream thats a poor ratio for me on 512 k broadband :( anyway i am not sure i want to use command line to upload stuff up there it seems a bit dodgy for someone who hates using things like visual basic on Windows machines dont intend to start using code again :(

10. gangst macrumors 6502a

personally, i would use .mac as you can then access eachothers account or public folders. This is alot more secure and my chose method.

11. 12ibookg4 macrumors regular

if you are looking for something more secure than ftp, try ssh. you turn on remote login in the sharing preferences and may also need to set up port forwording on your router (but you would have to do that w/ ftp too). You will need to create another account on your machine if you don't want your mate using your login. Use a gui like iGet and you can then securly transfer files over an encyrpted connection.

12. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Fugu is an SCP and SFTP client you could try. Don't use FTP, it's insecure. Link to Fugu

13. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

Why not try one of those USB flash drives? They're pretty cheap these days.

14. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I think you're misunderstanding what Fabrix2003 wants.

If you're just wanting to transfer files, you could always try ichat and send files that way.