Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nbdt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
Am awaiting delivery of a 5,1 6-core and am looking to transfer files from a iMac mid-2011. Couple questions:

1. Is Carbon Copy Clone better utility for transfer and future backup than just using Apple utility?

2. Want to set up raid 0 for video editing Premiere Pro CS6. Looking to use optical SSD and three 2TB hdds. Can CCC assist with software raid setup?

3. Any benefit to adding a pci-e bootable drive (owc accelsior) to the equation?

First time attempting this setup. Any guidance is appreciated before I get started. Thanks.

Mandla

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
Transferring applications from iMac to Mac Pro

I am also need to transfer applications such as FCP7, Adobe CS6, etc from an iMac to a Mac Pro. Can anyone offer a workflow to complete this process without complications?

Thanks

M

comatory

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
1. Depends
2. No
3. Yes

This.

Maybe the fastest way would be to plug Firewire cable to iMac and the other end to Mac Pro (both have gigabit E if you dont have FW800 cable laying around too).
Run clean install on Mac Pro, when Setup Assistant asks you, select bring data from your Mac. This will copy all the data, including applications and settings to your Mac Pro. Just make sure that you have enough space on your Mac Pro's hard drive (otherwise you can deselect some of the files but not individual folders).

So for transferring, I'd use the OS X installer. For backing up, CCC is great. You should get it for at least backing up your RAID 0 set.
My Mac Pro is set up this way: SSD for system, spinning HDD for user data, two WD HDDs as RAID0 and 2TB HDD for CCC backups. I have scheduled events daily that back up each of those disks to my 2TB drive. My 2TB is partitioned so every drive has it's own partition, SSD system drive backup is bootable too. You don't have to worry about anything, CCC can do all those things and it will guide you on how to do them.

For setting up RAID array you don't need CCC, Apple's Disk Utility will enable you to create RAID. It's pretty straightforward.

As for OWC Accelsior, sure if you have the cash and you really need the speed, go for it. I prefer classic SSD that is cheap (=replacable if it fails), the speeds that I get are perfect for me, if it's bottleneck one day I consider RAIDing them up.

---- As for transferring the applications. Be sure to DEAUTHORIZE your Adobe applications first as it might cause some trouble. You can do this by clicking Help in menu bar and select deauthorize. You do this on your iMac first. If you have CS bundle, this will deauthorize all the applications.
For transferring applications use the process I described (OS X installer), this will bring over all the apps and its settings. When your Mac Pro is set up, just run your Adobe app and click Help in menu bar, there should be an option to authorize/activate your product again.
For Apple apps such as Final Cut you don't need them to be authorized from what I know, at least not Final Cut Pro X. Not sure about FCP7 but I don't think they limit you to a set of licenses.

It's very easy, you can do all those things using just OS X, CCC is a nice backup solution but you can use Time Machine as well. I recommend dedicating one of those SATA bays for backup drive because it's really fast, or just get a big Firewire external drive (or use networked NAS.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.