Transfer itunes - HD??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by surajnangia, Oct 1, 2006.

1. surajnangia macrumors 6502

Hi

I recently bought a new ext hard drive. I wanted to back up my whole of itunes as i have enogh space. how do i do it cause when i select all songs in itunes and press export it does not tranfer songs..

thanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is iTunes set to manage your song files (Advanced pane of iTunes Preferences)? If so, head to your where you keep your music files (by default it'll be a folder named iTunes in the Music folder) and copy that to the external. Make sure to coy across the two library data files too. In other words, by default you just need to copy across a folder named iTunes from the Music folder. :)

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Windows or Mac?

Are you letting iTunes manage your library?

If so you just need to determine where your library lives on the internal drive Typically ~/Music on a Mac or %userprofile%\My Music\iTunes on Windows. and then drag that folder over to the external...

EDIT: beat by the mad one.

B

4. surajnangia thread starter macrumors 6502

5. surajnangia thread starter macrumors 6502

The other thing is
    the location where my music is storedis by artist names....

I want to tranfer songs with album names..

So is there a way

6. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

simply drag over the file itunes music located in users>%username%>music>itunes>itunes music and put it into your ext HD where ever you want it to be stored in the file structure of the ext HD.

Then go into itunes, don't play any songs or it will go crazy, and go into preferences and press advanced in the menu. Then under the general menu, press change and locate the file on the ext HD where you are now storing your music.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The album names are stored in the files and in the library database and will be preserved. iTunes just uses an Artist/Album/Song style for storing the files on the hard disc.

B