Transfer iTunes Library from PC to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vatel, May 8, 2005.

1. vatel macrumors member

I just purchased a Powerbook, and I want to move my iTunes library from my Dell to the PB. Although Apple says I'm allowed to do this, their documentation is very coy on just how I can accomplish the task.

Has anybody had experience doing this, or know how the transfer should be made?

Also, if I just pull my Dell hard drive and read via USB/Firewire, can I just copy the library into the iTunes library folder on my Mac, or do I need a more subtle approach?

2. sparky76 macrumors regular

You should be able to simply copy the files to the Mac via your network (if you have one) or by burning the files to a data DVD or CD and reading them on the new computer. Place them somewhere easy like the Desktop and drag and drop them onto the iTunes library. You will need to authorise the computer in iTunes if there are any protected files (or burn them to CD and re-rip).
    Good luck

3. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

On the dell make sure iTunes is set to organize files, and then click on Advanced > Consolidate Library... Now you can just copy the whole iTunes folder from your PC and put it on your mac in ~/Music. Open itunes, and the
    library should be there with playlists and playcounts in tact.

You can do the transfer over a network, CD/DVD, or using the hard drive method you mentioned.

Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes on both systems.