Transfer notes from old iPhone to new...Need help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VenusianSky, Oct 7, 2010.

1. macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

I had a Genius appointment today regarding a proximity sensor issue on my iPhone4 that I just got on Monday. They did a DFU restore and to my surprise, it seems to have resolved the problem. They told me not to restore my iphone this time, but set it up as a new one. My concern is that I have a bunch of notes on my previous backup and on my old iPhone that I need to get back on my new phone. Is there an easy way for me to do this?

2. macrumors P6

-aggie-

Didn’t you sync your notes to Outlook or Mail?

3. macrumors 68040

maturola

I don;t think there is a straight forward way to transfers "only" your notes if you didn't sync them with Outlook or google or something like aggie said, however you can use BackupExtrator to extract the note database and them use SQlite database browser to read that notes and Manually (or copy paste) input them into the new iPhone profile.

I would recommend Evernote app (free)to replace your note.app, works great, sync your note across all your computer and iDevices and you will never lost a note again. (you can make Video notes, audio notes, photo notes, and much more)

WebSite - AppStore Link

4. thread starter macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

I am not sure if they are synced with Outlook. I wasn't even aware of the option. I sync my Contacts and Calendar to Outlook, so I wonder if it synced my notes too. Not home yet, but I will check. Thanks.

5. macrumors 68020

Fernandez21

if you haven't synced your notes with outlook, what you could do is restore with backup, check the option and sync your notes, then restore again from scratch.

6. macrumors 65816

Mliii

You might want to check into a program called 'Phone View'. I've used it to transfer things back and forth from my Mac to my iPhone & the opposite.
    Haven't used it to move texts that are only on my Mac TO my iPhone yet.
    Not affiliated with them at all.

7. macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Unfortunately, copying of Notes in PhoneView doesn't work with iOS 4, only 3.1.3 and below. Hopefully they'll eventually figure out how to make it work with the newer firmware, but for now, it's not an option for the OP.

http://ecamm.com/mac/phoneview/instructions.html (refs to iOS 4 limitations under Notes Access)

8. macrumors 65816

Mliii

Yes, you are right! Maybe THAT'S why I haven't used it that way!;)

9. macrumors P6

-aggie-

Well, when you first synced your phone, all the different sync options for Contacts, Calendar, Notes, etc. are in the Info Tab in iTunes. So, you would have had to ignore the option. Hopefully, you didn’t. If you did sync, you’ll be all set for syncing them back over. If you didn’t then the other options discussed in this thread are available to you.

This is just another reason to jailbreak, since you can just copy the Notes.db back to get your notes.