transfer of data to new computer?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fyrmedic, Oct 30, 2005.

1. fyrmedic macrumors member

Just got my powermac g5 here goes.

#1 can I run my I pod on the two computers? How? and what about my songs, will they transfer.
    #2 How do I transfer my photos from I photo on my PB to the Power mac?

I know I will have more questions when I start setting things up, but thats all for now. :D

Oh yea. If it matters my PM does have blue teeth

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

When you turn on the new G5, it'll ask if you have any files to transfer over.
    hook the two up via firewire, and GO NUTS!
    it'll do it for you! depending on how much you have, it may take a while, but it's all good. it transfers over ALL your settings and files. It takes the thinking out of a new Mac! :)

3. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

on the #2 question: here's an answer,

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583

the webpage talks about how to set-up target disk mode thru firewire..

The 'Bluetooth' option on file transfer is really slow on version 1.0 .. I don't know about bluetooth 2.0 ..

iphil

beaten by KT.. wit reply better than mine ;) ;)

4. fayans macrumors 6502a

fayans

PM with blue teeth? That sounds scary. :rolleyes:
    Why use bluetooth if you could do it thru FW?

5. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Bluetooth is only useful on small files to a bluetooth-phone.. not GIGS of files to transfer to another computer..

iphil

6. fyrmedic thread starter macrumors member

7. MikeGA macrumors newbie

Yeah, plug the 2 together using firewire and use the Assistant to transfer everything, that way every part of your Account is kept as it was.

8. fyrmedic thread starter macrumors member

This may be a stupid question. but... does it matter that my PB is using panther and my PM is using tiger.

9. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

I dont think so, on the version of OSX on each computer .. I think Mac OS is smart enough to tell where each folder is in panther..

Once you do target mode in Firewire it should be as easy as drag n drop like an external drive ..

iphil

10. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Nope...migrated from Panther on PM to Tiger on mini just fine.

11. fyrmedic thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys worked like a champ. the new PM SCREAMS with Photoshop compared to my old PB. WOW:D :D

12. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

No problem .. Thats why theres a Mac community with Mac 'Geniuses' and 'Gods' ;) ;) ... I'm not up to that "Status" yet :p .. I'm just a member of this Community and even if i'm a 20 yr + vet of windows :( ..

I'm still 'Learning' the Mac Way of things ;) , And yes its easier to do things on a Mac than Windows.. No more "wizards", its truly 'Plug 'n Play' system

After I installed tiger and i thought i would need to do internet 'set-up' and the answer is "no" on the internet set-up :D :D .. I just plugged the ethernet cable from my Lan and then tried the internet it connected :D ..

iphil