Transfer pictures from camcorder to computer

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by kainjow, Mar 1, 2007.

1. kainjow Moderator emeritus

Jun 15, 2000
    This may be a noob question, but a while ago I was using a friend's camcorder and it had the ability to take pictures (which I think most can do). I had it connected via FireWire but I wasn't sure how to transfer those pictures to the computer. Does Image Capture do this? I don't remember being able to use that. I'd like to buy a nice camcorder and use it for still pics also but not if it's not going to work on the Mac. Anyone know if this works?
  2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Jan 5, 2006
    Redondo Beach, California
    My Sony camera has both USB and FW. I have to use the USB to get the still images. But you can always simply pull out the memory stick and put it in a card reader. Seems silly to have to swap cables but that's the way it works.

BTW I don't use the still image feature except for testing to see how it works. It's a poor still camera.

Your's may be different.
  3. seniorstinky macrumors regular

Feb 22, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    There is usually an SD card or other removable media that is used for taking pictures. You can either remove the card and put it into a device that reads it or connect via USB and it would be seen just like a removable thumb drive.

I would caution you about still pics on *most* video cameras as they generally take inferior photos compared to even basic point and shot photo cameras.