Transfer playlists between two computers?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by wahoo10, Mar 29, 2009.

1. macrumors 6502

What iTunes file contains playlist info? I just got a new Mac and need to transfer all my stuff. I have all the music transferred, but now just need the playlists too

2. macrumors Core

miles01110

I believe it's the iTunes Library.xml file in the "Music" directory (or whatever directory contains your library).

3. macrumors member

I would just copy the whole "iTunes" folder in the Music folder and copy it into the new Music folder. That way, it's exactly the same.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried that. I'm coming from a PC to a Mac, and so iTunes was already installed prior to me moving files. I'm tempted to just go to my iPhone and re-copy the playlists I want, but that's gonna be something like 500 songs

5. macrumors Core

miles01110

500 songs isn't that much- just copy the entire library and remove the doubt.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

No, I'm saying the playlists I want to keep have 500 songs or so between them. I don't want to have to remake the playlists, not to mention re-rate all the songs

7. macrumors member

Oh, oops, didn't know you had a PC. There are multiple ways to do what you are trying to do. Since I've never done that myself, here is a link that might help you. Just follow the directions. Link.

Good luck!