transfer settings and files from one os x panther to another

Discussion in 'macOS' started by starfish, Jun 15, 2005.

1. starfish macrumors newbie

hi,

I have recently bought a second hand powerbook g4 12" and want to transfer my safari bookmarks and documents, photos and music but not my applications

how do I do this correctly?

I know about firewire transfer mode but I'm unsure about where the bookmarks and other small files are located

thanks in advance

Mike

2. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

You don't have to know where to find it all.

- Get your old machine booted into Target Disk Mode and plug it into the new machine so it mounts.

- Go to Applications/Utilities and boot "Setup Assistant".

- Select the option for getting files/preferences/users from a previous mac.

- Follow prompts including restart and bingo, you've got your old stuff on your new Mac. If you had your new machine TDM'd and plugged in when you first booted your new Mac it'd have offered you this choice initially. :cool:

Good luck! ;)

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Setup Assistant may not exist on this person's computer. This didn't exist in Panther unless one had a G5.

4. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

If you don't have set up assistant, Firewire target mode works fine. I'll assume you're OK with moving documents, music and photos since these folders are appropriately named.

Fire up Safari and select Export Bookmarks from File menu. Save to new PB. Fire up Safari on it and import bookmarks.

You could also get .Mac (30 day free trial available) and use it to sync bookmarks , keychains and other items one likely wants the same on two computers.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Once again, this doesn't exist in Panther. It exists in Tiger's version of Safari. To export bookmarks from Panther's version of Safari, you will have to turn on the debug menu (google for it), and then open Safari and go to the Debug pull-down menu and select Export Bookmarks.