Transfering files from pc to mac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ispeakmango, Jan 27, 2004.

1. ispeakmango macrumors member

I have a deasktop pc right now andI'll be getting my new 12" powerbook pretty soon. I was wondering how to go about transfering some of the files on my pc to the powerbook without burning them onto a cd. Thanks.

2. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Transfering files from pc to mac

Is your PC running XP or 2000? Does it have an ethernet port? If so it's very easy. In any case I have a link that will help you network if your PC has an ethernet port.

http://joelshoemaker.com/computer/mac/pcfilesharing.html

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    ifyour pc has firewire, you cant boot it up in firewire target disk mode, i heard it works for some ppl hasnt worked for me tho.

but i normally do the netoworking thing

4. ispeakmango thread starter macrumors member

I'm using XP.

I read the article. The only thing I don't understand is do I have to connect the two computers using any sort of wires? Or once I do everything in the article will they automatically see each other?

Thanks.

5. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Yeah you need and ethernet patch cable. This is if you're PC has an ethernet card in it. If it does not then your only way to transfer files will be to burn them to cds.

6. ispeakmango thread starter macrumors member

Yeah it has an ehthernet card. Where would I get that cable?

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Don't you mean ethernet crossover cable?

8. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Yes, thanks for catching that.

9. ispeakmango thread starter macrumors member

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Yes that will work perfectly.

11. ispeakmango thread starter macrumors member

12. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Shouldn't his Mac have an auto-sensing ethernet port? If so, any old ehternet cable should work fine, right?

13. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I think I'm correct in saying both computers need to be auto-sensing.

14. lazyboy922 macrumors 6502

lazyboy922

anyone know how to connect using a firewire cable? I did what the manual said, but my pc is not recognizing the mac.

15. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I think your PC needs to have either IP over firewire (which I do not thing PCs have) or you need to put the Mac in Target disk mode by holding down the T key then the Mac drives would mount on the PC but since Mac drives aren't recognized by PCs then that won't work either.

16. lazyboy922 macrumors 6502

lazyboy922

Yeah i did the hold T thing... i just went back to the store and got an ethernet card so hopefully that will work. ill update!

17. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Connecting over ethernet is pretty easy. Just follow the instructions I provided in the link above.

18. lazyboy922 macrumors 6502

lazyboy922

ok, so i tried the ethernet thing. I can get the pc to connect to the mac and transfer files FROM the mac, but can't figure out how to get files from my pc to the mac. I went to GO/connect to server/ and then i specified what i think is my pc computer name, but it cannot connect. thanks for the link though, ill try messing with it more later.

19. ispeakmango thread starter macrumors member

I have another question. I will be getting DSL next week and once I get my PB will want to use the DSL for it too. If I buy a router to connect it to, will that act in the same way the cable would? I mean... would I be able to share files this way? Sorry I'm really a newbie when it comes to this stuff. Could anyone reccomend a good (inexpensive) router as well. Thanks for the help.

20. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Does your Powerbook have an Airport card? If it does I would get a wireless router. Then you can connect your Mac and PC to the router with the ethernet cable and you can connect the powerbook to the router wirelessly or wired.

In any case all the computers will be able to use the DSL and you can network them all and transfer files.

I personally recommend the Netgear WGR614 it's what I got after a lot of research. It's an excellent wireless router.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...47/103-0098434-6132666?v=glance&s=pc&n=507846

If you don't need the wireless part then we will figure out something else.

As for connecting the Mac to the PC you shouldn't have to enter a name if you have the XP setup correctly on the PC it should just show up when you choose to browse the network.

Also if you have the Mac showing up on the PC then that's all you really have to do. You should be able to take files off the Mac and also drop files on to it from the PC.

21. ispeakmango thread starter macrumors member

I'm not exactly sure what you are saying. I'll read it again, but I will probably not be getting a airport extreme card.

22. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

If you don't want wireless then any 10/100 router will work.

23. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Click the finder, and click the "network" tab on the left, your PC should just show up.

What the other guy was saying about copying files to your mac: if you can connect to it from windows, thats good enough, just copy the files that way, on your PC.

24. ispeakmango thread starter macrumors member

Ok, thanks for the help. Once I actually get the PB and the router... and the DSL I should be able to figure it out.

25. lazyboy922 macrumors 6502

lazyboy922

Well i can get the files from my mac to my pc, but as far as getting them to my mac, i cant connect that way. I thought i just went to go and then connect to server. then i though i ahd to type in smb://computername/shared folder/ and it should connect?