Transfering files from PC to Macbook?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Reubania, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Reubania macrumors newbie

Nov 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    I am about to purchase a new Macbook, but was wondering how to transfer all my music files and documents from my PC to the MB?

When you have over 100GB of files, the old and tried method of CD burning doesn't cut it anymore.

My PC has a firewire connection (that I added so my 4G iPod can be connected instead of the dodgy USB port). I have purchased the normal firewire cable from Apple, thinking it would be easy to just plug that to the MB and to the back of my PC.

Is this the way to go about doing this? Does the MB need to be in some mode (someone mentioned to me, HDD mode) or is this automatically detected on my XP based PC to an "external HD" on my removable drive?

If someone could help me through the steps, so I know what to do when my MB arrives, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
  2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

Oct 29, 2006
    ~119W 34N
    As far as I know, there isn't a Target Disk Mode in Windows, so you can't mount it on the Mac as an external drive.

Here's Apple's help page:

Over a local network's probably the easiest. 100GB's is gonna take a while, gigibit enet on the PC would help.

You can setup the Mac as a Firewire drive, but Windows wouldn't know how to read the file format, unless you got a 3rd party Windows app designed to do that.

Another option is to put the PC's harddrive into an external FW/USB2 case. The Mac will read it just fine.