Transfering files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by red41, Nov 17, 2006.

1. red41 macrumors regular

Hey all. I need some help moving files from my non-bluetooth enabled mini to my brand new C2D Macbook. I basically just want to move over my itunes files. I have considered just burring all the music to a couple of DVD's and doing it that way, but when I was reading the directions for my laptop it said that I could transfer the files while setting up the new computer. Is there a quick and easy way to do this without bluetooth? I'm not completely illiterate when it comes to computers or Mac, but it's best to treat me like a 3rd grader when explaining (and sorry if that offends any 3rd graders). Thanks in advance.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

No need for wireless.

Boot the mini in target mode (google for it), and hook the 2 computers up via firewire cable. The mini's HD appears on your MB's desktop as a mounted hard drive, drag & drop your files. Done.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

If you have them both on a network, you can just transfer them that way.

Or you can use Target Disk Mode with Firewire.

4. ricksbrain macrumors regular

You can use target disk mode. Restart the mini while holding the T button down. It will boot up as an external hard drive. You can then drag and drop whatever you want into the newer computer.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

N00bs. So school'd. :)

Again, I propose that tenths and hundredths of seconds be added to posting times! ;)

6. red41 thread starter macrumors regular

Well that didn't take long. Thanks for the instructions, sounds easy enough.

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Firewire Target Disk mode will let you mount your Mini as an external harddrive. Then you can just drag your data to the new machine.

Shutdown the Mini, and connect it to your MacBook with Firewire cable.
    While holding down the "T", startup the Mini.
    Once you see the Firewire logo on the Mini's display, you can let go of the key.

The Mini should show up on the MacBook's desktop.

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Some of us feel that it's better to provide more complete information than to simply be first. ;)

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow