Transfering GB games to DS or GBA

Discussion in 'Games' started by Shortsord, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Shortsord macrumors member

So, I have a DS! Whew!

Now, is there a way for me to transfer all my old gameboy color games to my computer, and then put them onto wither blank ds or gba cartridges?

Is the hardware for this easily available and the software not to hard to finagle?

I'd love to replay some old games again, but sadly, I don't have a gameboy color anymore, and would rather play it on the ds than buy an old gbc.

Any ideas? Thanks.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

:confused: I've played my old original GB cartridges on my son's GBA. Stick it in and go. (I don't think that works for the DS though...)

B

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd say you need the M3 Adapter, but you cannot save in Gameboy Colour games so I don't know what to suggest. It works fine with GB (and NES) though. For GBC games you're best sticking with the Gameboy Player or GBA SP.

That said the only problem with the save function on GBC games with the M3 Adapter is software so it will be fixed eventually.

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Try one of the third party emulators. Save functionality *should* work...alternatively use M3 savestates.
    http://boards.pocketheaven.com/viewtopic.php?t=3280

Anyway, to the OP: M3 Adapter is perfect for that, but it might actually be overkill if all you want is GBC and GB games. A cheap flash card is probably your best bet. Nowhere near the capacity of the M3 but cheaper and smaller.

5. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

I would just recommend getting a Game Boy Player if you have a gamecube, or a gba sp (not micro). It would be easier and cheaper than homebrew.

Game Boy Player: $50
    Game Boy Advance SP: $80
    M3: $90

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

http://revolution-sales.com/catalog/flash2advance-ultra-p-291.html

Flash2Advance Ultra, $46. It's a blank GBA cartridge, rewritable.

However, low capacity (64 MegaBits, not bytes)...the GameBoy Player probably is the best option.

7. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Your cheapest bet would definitely be getting a used GBA. I got lucky when I bought my original style GBA from a friend for $5 recently, but even the local pawn shop by my house is selling GBA SPs for $35.

8. Shortsord thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the replies.

I realize buying a dumb gameboy color would be best, but I'd rather have it all together. Not only that, this M3 thing looks to be exactly what I'd wanted in the first place.

So, getting this item: http://www.consolesource.com/ecomm/customer/product.php?productid=2441&cat=&page=1 would solve my problems, as it would allow me to put everything on my sd cards (and I have a bunch of 2gb cards around here) and play movies and gb games and even snes games? If so, wonderful!

Question, though, for those who have it, does it stick out horribly from a ds lite? Or just nominally?

Thanks a lot all.
    Handheld Chrono Trigger here I come!

9. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

from what i've read, it's the same size as a regular gba cart. there seems to be two of them; the "slim" version which you can slide a full size sd card into the side of it, and the "mini" version which you can slide a mini sd into the front.

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The regular SD one sticks out of the regular DS.
    The slim SD one is almost the size of a regular GBA cart, and barely sticks out at all on the regular DS, but sticks out of the Lite.

Comparing the two:
    [​IMG]

regular:
    [​IMG]

Slim:
    [​IMG]

Regardless, they will stick out of a Lite a little. Both are the same hardware, so make sure you get the Slim.

There's a 3rd one, the Mini one, which is even smaller, but uses Mini-SD cards. This one is the exact size of a regular GBA cartridge and does not stick out of the regular DS at all.

I use the M3 CF, which is even larger than the old model M3 SD. Sticks out by a mile, but it works fine :)