Transfering iTunes Library to new Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mikeyfern, Aug 2, 2004.

1. mikeyfern macrumors member

I'm looking to buy a powerbook, and I'm wondering if there is some easy way to transfer all my existing music files, as well as my playlists, ratings, etc.. from my powermac (MDD) to my new machine. I'm guessing there must be some simple way to do it with an ethernet or firewire cable. Any tips would be much appreciated!

2. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Get a firewire cable, do the target disk mode, then drag the entire iTunes folder to your new Mac's HD.

3. mikeyfern thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the tips! I thought there was something like this, now I know.

4. phonewentwest macrumors regular

I'm about to transfer my iTunes from an old mac to a new one. My question is, after doing so, will all the files (songs, apps, movies) still remain on my old computer? I'll still be using it and would like all the stuff to remain there as well as be on the new mac. Thanks.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

6. phonewentwest macrumors regular

Thanks for that link. One more question... right now I think I'm just going to getting my iTunes stuff. If I want other files I'll worry about that later. So should I go through migration assistant or just drag my iTunes folder to my new mac.

7. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

I just copy my iTunes folder to an external (when I wipe my HDD and reinstall OS X) and then copy it to the music folder on the new HDD. iTunes will recognise the library when it starts.