transfering office license to my new machine

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wmmk, Nov 24, 2006.

1. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

Hi all!
    I just bought a refresh CD MBP. Ogt a great deal! Anyway, office is really vital to my computer use. I was wondering how to transfer the liscense to the MacBook Pro. Do I simply delete it from my G4 mini and install it on the MBP, or is there more to do?
    Thanks,
    wmmk

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think that's sufficient. I don't think MS does anything really sophisticated with Office licenses as of yet, and that fully complies with your legal obligation.

3. wmmk thread starter macrumors 68020

wmmk

thanks. I'm actually thinking I may just use NeoOffice because it'd be native...

4. 2ndPath macrumors 6502

I installed the education version on two different machines. So I guess there is no technical limitation to prevent you from doing this. I heard however that if the same key is used and both machines are on the same local network, it might refuse to run on both machines simultanously. So for your case, deleting it on one machine and installing it on the other one should be everything you need to do. There does not seem to be any online activation thing as with Adobe applications or the iTunes Music store.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

*Legally* you are entitled to three installations of the Edu version anyway, subject to the limitations stated in the terms... But I have also heard the issue about the keys and the network.

6. 2ndPath macrumors 6502

Actually the education version comes with three different keys. But when I installed it the first time on my second machine (by dragging the applications form the CD to the disc) and started it for the first time, it just took over the key from the other installation without asking me about it. I guess it was stored somewhere in the user preferences as I used the same home directory on both machines. When I reinstalled the OS and Office on that machine later on using the installer, I could manually enter the key. But I never ran Office on both machines with the same key simultanously, so I did not experience this issue of the two interferring.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No, I know. But I always forget which key I used on which computer. :eek: But so far I have not had trouble so presumably my iMac and iBook are using different keys! :)

8. wmmk thread starter macrumors 68020

wmmk

just a thought:
    can I use migration assistant to transfer the app and license? I'm using that for all of my other apps and data, so that'd be the most convenient. Thanks, wmmk

9. Phil A. Contributor

Phil A.

That worked for me last night when I transferred from my MBP to my Mac Pro. Office (2004) started fine afterwards, complete with the prevous product key. I had to re-enter the serial for Aperture, but apart from that everything went across smoothly

10. wmmk thread starter macrumors 68020

wmmk

cool. thanks. that'll make things a lot easier.