Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Is it possible to transfer my msgs from Android to iOS?

rzc16512

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2015
Is it possible to transfer my msgs from Android to iOS?
Yes. You have the option during setup of your iPhone. If you've already setup your iPhone you can restore it (which will erase everything) and chose the option to move from android

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Can you explain in more detail please, i dont understand who this can be done!

rzc16512

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2015
Can you explain in more detail please, i dont understand who this can be done!
You will need to reset your phone. I assume you already set it up. Go to settings -> general -> reset -> Erase All Content & Settings. THIS WILL ERASE ALL DATA ON YOUR IPHONE The phone will reboot and will show the setup screen. Proceed with setup and select your wifi network, apple ID, etc. When it asks if you want to setup as a new iPhone there should be an option "Move Data from Android" Follow the steps it shows and it should be able to transfer the data.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Hmm thanx but the reset isn't a good thing, i might just pass on this. Isnt there any other way?
btw, how does it connect the Android to move the data?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
This is while setting up the iPhone though. Now i have all ready set it up. What can i do now is the question. :)

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Like i said in previous post, i dont want to get in the risky (to loosing data) restore option etc. Im looking for easier methods, if there are any ;-)

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you just started using your iPhone, then there's really no "shame" in realizing that, as a new user, the best way forward might be to take a (small) step back, and do a restore. You back up your phone in iTunes, then choose the Restore option. Just takes some time (a few minutes), and not risky in any way. I'm not sure where you would have got the idea that a restore is, somehow "risky". It is not. Maybe you had problems with that in android.
This is not android :D
It's all done within iTunes, on your Mac. Easy-peasy.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
3 options given and 3 options declined. Why in the world would anyone help (especially if you aren't even willing to figure out how to set alarms for yourself)? :confused:o_O:rolleyes:

Reactions: Applejuiced

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Doesn't exist. There is no easy way (apart from what you have been told) to transfer messages from android to iOS.
What would be the hard way, if there is no easy way?
[doublepost=1471160716][/doublepost]
3 options given and 3 options declined. Why in the world would anyone help (especially if you aren't even willing to figure out how to set alarms for yourself)? :confused:o_O:rolleyes:
Regarding the options given i don't want to be making restores and erasing my data etc. In android when i changed phones i used to have this app and saved my msgs then took the file, transfered it to the other Android phone and imported all my msgs like so. Isn't there something similar that can be done to iOS? I dont mind if its not the easiest way, im a traditional kinda user so im not looking for fast and easy.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
That's also what several here have already said.
And, the process is easy (fairly easy), and quick (less than an hour should do it, assuming you haven't piled on lots of apps already :D )
Plug your iPhone into your Mac (or Windows PC), run iTunes.
Click on your iPhone icon. click the backup button, just to make sure that iTunes does that.
Click restore.
Wait until that process is complete, then choose to restore your backup. iTunes will ask you about that at the appropriate time.
I think there is an app that you have to run on your android phone to set up the transfer of your messages. Follow the instructions for that app, whatever it is.
Should work, and is the same tip that you should have asked about before you first setup your new iPhone.
If you move between very different OSes, then you should expect that you will have to jump through a few hoops to get from one to the other. This is one of those "hoops"...
Take your time for discovery, start over, and do it right this time :D

I bet that the shop where you got your new iPhone would have also helped you quickly (and correctly) with this, rather than you trying to discover how to fix your set up after the fact through random internet questions.

Last edited:

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Delta thank you for the thorough explanation. Im still searching for that other option, of not having to do a restore (yes i have pilled up too many apps all ready).

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Time for "pruning" already? The term "too many" implies that you can delete some already. That will make your task shorter, too.
Don't put off cleaning out unnecessary apps until that process gets unwieldy, too.
The restore process remains a viable option for you, but then you need to know, before you begin, that you have enough space for a backup on the drive where iTunes is launched.
All you need is some patience. Hopefully you will find some of that :D

Reactions: zoran
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.