Transferring Apple Care - Buying/Selling

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jme, Oct 29, 2003.

1. jme macrumors newbie

If I were to buy a Mac (from a retail dealer) and the previous owner purchased that Mac w/ Apple Care, would I still be able to get that Apple Care transferred to me? Do I ask the dealer? Apple Care Customer Service? The previous owner who sold it to the dealer?

Just wanted to cover my bootie because I plan on buying a resale, either from an individual or a dealer.

Thanks,

Jaime :confused:

2. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

Ask the reseller if they know about it. Usually you can buy it directly from someone when you buy the system from a private party, but from a reseller, it's a little bit more difficult. Often times the reseller has their own warranty plans and has no record of the AppleCare. Get the serial number and call AppleCare and see if there's a plan on the system already. And while you have them on the phone, ask them what they need to switch it to your name.

3. iGav macrumors G3

AppleCare is attached to the computer not the person, so I don't see why not....

If you buy from a individual then you have no worries, as the rights will transfer to you when you purchase it.

I guess if you buy from a dealer, then you need to check whether AppleCare was purchased on that particular computer, if it was, then you're fine!

4. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

The issue is that when you register for AppleCare, you register it and the computer under your own name. While it's true that the AppleCare follows the machine and not the person (in fact, selling a computer that has AppleCare ups the resale value), the registration follows the person and not the machine. Thus if you were to walk into, say, an Apple store, trying to bring your computer in for service, there will be an issue with the fact that the registered owner of the machine, and the AppleCare, is not you. Therefore, it's important to get all of that info transferred to your own name as soon as possible.