Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
What do you have to do to transfer ownership on an unlimited data account?
Basically call att and tell them you want to transfer the account into another name. You give att the buyers phone number, att calls them to confirm they are taking over the account. Att does run a credit check.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
What do you have to do to transfer ownership on an unlimited data account?
Google "AT&T assumption of liability." That'll get you what you need to know.

Do you loose your phone number tied to the original account? I am thinking of selling mine, but did not know how to go about it. I can't give up my number I have had for 20+ years
Yes, you lose your number.

Just how much do you think the Unlimited account is worth?
They can still go for $500-$800.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
I just looked on eBay and saw prices well above 1K and as high as over $3800

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
That is crazy. Still not worth giving up a number I have had for over 10 years. I am surprised that AT&T would do this.

do what?

change your number on facebook, linkedin, text it to your contacts and family, etc. i've changed phone numbers in the landline days a few times. no big deal

what you can try to do is open a new line under your account and change that phone number to the new line. use an older phone for netflix or youtube or whatever for that month. port the line with the number to another carrier leaving your UDP with another number on AT&T. sell that account.

might work, might not

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
Why couldn't you do the google voice port out trick like you can with Verizon and keep your number that way?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.