Transferring Data & Preparing iBook for Selling

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Spaceman Spiff, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Spaceman Spiff macrumors regular

I've got a couple questions. My brother is selling his iBook and upgrading to a Macbook.

1) Transferring his stuff. We don't have the Macbook yet, and the person buying needs it today. We do have some pretty beefy external hard drives. What's the best way to transfer all his preferences/files/apps to the external hard drive that'll also make it easy for the Macbook to import? Note that the external can fit the entire iBook hard drive no problem, if that makes a difference.

2) Wiping his info after - I assumed a clean reinstallation of OS X is the way to wipe all his info off and make the iBook ready to change hands. Is that the right way? Is there someone else we should do to make it ready to bid farewell to?

As always, thanks for the help.

2. reh macrumors 6502a

1) You can use an application called Carbon Copy Cloner to make an exact copy of the iBook's drive on another drive. Although, you could easily get away with just copy over the home folder and perhaps the application folder as well.

2) Yup, do an "erase and install" and shut off the ibook when the welcome screen comes up. The new owner will be greeted with a screen just like they were purchasing new from Apple.

3. Spaceman Spiff thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, thanks!

Although in terms of Applications like Logic and Photoshop, they seem to have Application Support files and such around the Library. I guess it's more worth it to completely reinstall them than to find all their files hidden around the system, eh?

4. reh macrumors 6502a

Ya, I'd just reinstall the programs. Just make sure you backup the whole user folder to grab all the personal stuff.