Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brn2rnjk1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Is there a way to transfer everything (programs/apps, docs, photos, music etc.) from my snow lion to my new iMac running mountain lion. I have done some research but didn't see if possible to move everything into new operating system? If not, what is the suggested way to do this? The old iMac is also "cloned" to an external drive if that helps.

bizango

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2012
california
I just did that last night. Transferred everything from my '08 iMac with Snow Leopard to my new 27" with Mountain lion. I did it the easy way through Migration Assistant. All I needed was to connect the two to the same router (I did it wired; seems you can also do it via wifi).

The opening screen walks you through it. It worked without a hitch...though took about 3 hours of painful waiting.

There are other ways to do it, of course, but I like simple. :)

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
I just did that last night. Transferred everything from my '08 iMac with Snow Leopard to my new 27" with Mountain lion. I did it the easy way through Migration Assistant. All I needed was to connect the two to the same router (I did it wired; seems you can also do it via wifi).

The opening screen walks you through it. It worked without a hitch...though took about 3 hours of painful waiting.

There are other ways to do it, of course, but I like simple. :)
Are you able to just pick one account to transfer data? I have multiple accounts on my computer, does it give an option to transfer a selective number of apps and not the whole computer?

Thanks

toddzrx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I just did this about a month ago: old computer was a 1st gen 17" MBP on SL; target computer was a (new to me) mid-2010 21.5" iMac.

I used Migration Assistant in Utilities to do this and it's a piece of cake. I highly recommend you connect the two computers with an ethernet cable to speed things up; it will take about 5 times as long over WiFi (at least that's what my computer said when I first tried it).

Are you able to just pick one account to transfer data? I have multiple accounts on my computer, does it give an option to transfer a selective number of apps and not the whole computer?

Thanks

If I remember right, you can select specific data to transfer; don't quote me on that though. It will be obvious when you are setting it up; the steps are very clearly laid out.

SubaLou

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2012
Great thread.....but for me, I think i'm just going to transfer a few folders to my Ext HD and then simply move them over. I've only been on Snow Leopard....and I want to learn Mountain Lion and play with the new 27" imac & set up of it rather than transfer everything to the new one.

brn2rnjk1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Thanks for all the responses. Just to be clear (and I can hook up either the old computer or a cloned external HD), this will transfer not only data but programs and apps?

Also, someone mentioned using setup assistant in ML? Is that the same?

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
Connect a cat5e or cat6 cable directly from one machine to the other. No need for a switch or router in between.

bizango

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2012
california
Thanks for all the responses. Just to be clear (and I can hook up either the old computer or a cloned external HD), this will transfer not only data but programs and apps?

Also, someone mentioned using setup assistant in ML? Is that the same?

Yes it will transfer everything over. All files, programs, settings, even your screensaver. Everything is organized & set up the same as in the old computer. Seamless. I didn't try to select any item to not be transferred over, but believe it can be done.

The only thing it didn't transfer over was my old Boot Camp partition.
I don't know anything about setup assistant.

I'd say good luck, but you won't need it it's so easy. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.