Transferring file from mac to pc

Discussion in 'macOS' started by markiv810, Sep 4, 2006.

1. markiv810 macrumors regular

I have been trying to transfer a file (which is around 4 GB in size) from my PowerMac G5 to my office pc but windows xp on my office pc only reads the file to be 1.97 GB in size, I also zipped the file using the built-in zip utility in OS X but the size of the zipped file on my office pc is 1.97 GB and on my mac is 3.97 GB. I am using DVD media to transfer the file. Should I fragment the file for an easy transfer, please advice.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Absolutely no idea why that is happening, have you tried opening the file on Windows? (btw when you open the Zip on the PC there may be a folder called in the zip itself called MacOSX the file may be inside that.)

It may just be the Mac and/or PC is reading the size of the zipped file wrong.

3. markiv810 thread starter macrumors regular

Windows XP is reading the file size wrong and I see only one file (the zipped file). I am thinking of it to split the file into pieces using Stuffit Deluxe and then putting them back together on the pc that might actually work. I have transferred 4 GB iso images of Fedora and OpenSuse from my mac at home to my office pc without any problems. I would try that out tonite, and thanks for your reply.

4. reflex macrumors 6502a

How are you transferring the file?

It could be a limit in the FAT32 file system.

5. Caesar0801 macrumors newbie

Caesar0801

I've read the FAT hd format is limited to filesizes of 4GB max.
    but I don't know if that's the problem of your transfer.
    is your pc FAT-formatted? or NTFS?

grtz,
    caesar

6. philb macrumors newbie

edit: slow post, looks like other people beat me to it...