Transferring files between mac and win partitions

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mfacey, Sep 4, 2006.

1. mfacey macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2004
    Hi all,

My girlfriend is considering the purchase of a Macbook. She, however, would like to know whether it is possible to access your documents on the Mac partition (after using bootcamp) and edit them in Windows (should this be necessary for whatever reason). Is this possible?

Simple example situation -> Word document stored in Documents on the mac partition. Can she open it in Word for windows, edit it and then save again to the original location on the mac partition?

Thanks for your help!
  2. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

Dec 1, 2005
    I dont think it`s possible. You will have to buy a special software to make windows able to read OSX partition. Though I might not do it as it`ll leave OSX partition prone to windows viruses.

But you can use OSX to read/write anything on Windows Fat 32 partition without any problems.
  3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    In BootCamp, I think you have two major options:

1) Make a FAT32 partition and keep documents on it.
    2) Get MacDrive and use it to read the MacHFS+ partition from within Windows.
  4. MrCrowbar macrumors 68000

Jan 12, 2006
    You can read the files from the windows partition when running Mac OSX, but you can't write there. Windows does not see the Mac partition at all.

Here's what I do:
    - Make a FAT32 partition on the hard drive and put all the documents you want to share between the 2 operating systems there. Both Windows and Mac OSX can read and write there. PM me if you want details.
  5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Nov 3, 2005
    You can buy Macdrive for $50 to read your Mac partition on the windows side.

Edit, damn beaten to it, we are clearly far too helpful :p;)
  6. ewinemiller macrumors 6502

Aug 29, 2001
    west of Philly
    use MacDrive cautiously

I'm using MacDrive and since I got my MBP, it has corrupted and destroyed 5 OSX installs. Each time I figure out a few more things to avoid and the MacDrive folks fix a few more bugs, but it's still not particularly stable. If you use MacDrive back up often!
  7. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2006
    As a slightly different option you can do this with Parallels through the shared folder.
  8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I would also say that, since this is all hypothetical at this point, unless you know your girlfriend cannot do something she needs to do in Parallels, that it is the way to go.