Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Graveyard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
Romania
I was wondering what is the easiest way to transfer files via home network between my 27" iMac running ML and the old ppc macs i have running 9.2.2. None of the machines seem to be able to connect directly to the iMac. If i use tiger, it works like a charm, but i don't want to switch between the 2 operating systems al the time, and most of all, i want to run just 9.2.2 on them since i have tons of apps for it.

Graveyard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
Romania

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
Interesting. Thanks! I'll try the solutions found there when i get home. I was getting the "connection failed" last time i tried if i remember correctly. Or was it something about not being able to mount the filesystem. Anyway, i'll give it a go when i get the time.

Well, a super-kludge -solution would be setting up a FTP server on the iMac and connecting to it with OS9 :)

RGDS,

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Don't forget that starting with Snow Leopard, Apple removed support for OS 9's older implementation of AFP.

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2011
You could use a VM on your ML machine that supports the older AFP eg Leopard - I use a Windows 2000 Advanced Server VM for storing and transferring files to/from Classic Mac OS machines as it also has support for the older AFP with Services for Macintosh installed.

Frost7

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Republic of Texas
Kind of a quick and dirty way to do this that I use is to use Apple Remote Desktop to sign into a PPC machine running Tiger or Leopard from the Intel machine, and use it as an intermediary.

Graveyard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
Romania
Well, in the meantime, i got mysef another Mac that will be used for classic. Quicksilver 800MHz dual cpu. All gotta do now is find some free time to play with all the toys. I think i'll just transfer all i need directly on the hard drives with an external usb to ata adapter. But other than that, i'll try and use ftp so i don't have to extract the hdd out of the machines everytime i want to add some more software. And since i got my hands on a @&€"load of os9 software again, maybe i'll start writing discs so i can keep them in my collection. Darn it, i never thought i'd have so much stuff to do, and no spare time to do anything.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Don't forget that starting with Snow Leopard, Apple removed support for OS 9's older implementation of AFP.

But I was still able to network between OS 9 and Snow Leopard. The problem I have is Lion and Mountain Lion with OS 9. I looked at the thread but I'll have to relook into it again.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
But I was still able to network between OS 9 and Snow Leopard. The problem I have is Lion and Mountain Lion with OS 9. I looked at the thread but I'll have to relook into it again.

AFP between 10.6+ and OS 9 doesn't well. It's well documented that Apple removed the functionality. Either you used SMB/Windows file sharing or FTP to share files.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I may have shared over TCP/IP

AFP over TCP/IP between 10.6+ and OS 9 does not work at all because Apple removed support for the older AFP that OS 9 used. Leopard could still do AFP over AppleTalk, but it wasn't very fast or stable.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
AFP over TCP/IP between 10.6+ and OS 9 does not work at all because Apple removed support for the older AFP that OS 9 used. Leopard could still do AFP over AppleTalk, but it wasn't very fast or stable.

Hmmm... It was something that no longer worked in Lion and Mountain Lion. It told me to connect by putting afp://xxx.xxx.x.xxx or similar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.