Transferring files between PC and Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by killuminati, May 15, 2005.

1. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I just got my Dad an iMac to replace his old PC. I need to transfer his files over (music, documents, photos etc.).

I was wondering if I would just be able to connect the computers with a firewire cable and drag stuff over. If I can would I need any kind of program? If I can't what's another way to transfer files (other than burning cds)?

2. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

I'm not sure if PCs can network over firewire. They will probably work together over a ethernet crossover cable.
    Another solution would be an external (internal?) burning one. People rarly have more than a few DVD's worth of info to transfer.

3. freiheit macrumors 6502a

MacOS X (10.3 and 10.4 at least, I can't speak for earlier versions) has built-in Firewire networking (TCP/IP over Firewire). I think Windows before XP did not but XP does have basic TCP/IP over Firewire.

Either way, there is a 3rd party program available for both MacOS X and Windows which will allow full Firewire networking (including shared drives, folders and printers). It's called FireNet and a demo version is available for download at http://www.unibrain.com/home/.

The options are of course a direct ethernet connection (crossover cable not needed -- newer Macs automatically detect if a cable needs to be crossed over or not and will work with even a non-crossover cable -- but crossover cables may still give you some peace of mind anyway), or using a gigabit switch between the systems, etc. MacOS X networks with Windows 2000/XP quite nicely for sharing files.

4. killuminati thread starter macrumors 68020

killuminati

So basically I can just connect them via ethernet. Then just make sure their networked and then drag files back and forth?

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yep. You've just gotta make sure you have them both enabled for file sharing. It's pretty easy, here's a pretty good FAQ from edesignuk, bless 'im.

6. killuminati thread starter macrumors 68020

killuminati

Thanks for that,