Transferring files from an Old Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by akadmon, Dec 4, 2006.

1. akadmon macrumors 68010

I have an old Centris 650 sitting in my basement and I would like to transfer some files from it to my mac pro. The trouble is this machine has a broken floppy (I could get the files onto a PC, then to my Mac Pro if the floppy drive was working) and it does not connect to the Internet (my house has no telephone line hookup). I do have an old Zip Drive that I can copy stuff to, but the Zip drive has a SCSI connector which my Mac Pro lacks, so no luck there. Is there a way of direct-connecting the Mac Pro to this old Centris? Can I take out the hard drive and connect it to the Mac Pro?

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

If the 650 has Ethernet then you could connect the two computers and "share" the files using Appletalk. Then on the shared folder would appear on the new mac's desktop. You'd need some cable and a hub or switch. Likely you have this already

It would be expensive to try and connect a SCSI disk too a Mac Pro. I doubt you would find a USB disk enclosure that would house a SCSI drive so you would need to buy a SCSI controller for the Mac Pro. I would not go this route unless you have other uses for the SCSI controller

I think your best bet is to use the Ethernet.

3. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

This Centris 650 doesn't have a FireWire port, right? Of course not. :eek:

There are SCSI to USB adapters. Maybe you can get one of those. (I would send you mine if you weren't so damn far away.)

4. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68010

The Centris does not have Ethernet. In those days (10+ years ago) Macs came with AppleTalk connectors which look nothing like Ethernet.

5. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68010

Do you mean Centris-->SCSI Cable-->SCSI/USB Adapter-->USB Cable-->Mac Pro? Would the Mac Pro see the Centris as an external drive?

6. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

Yes, that's what I mean. Though I'm not sure if it will work.

I once owned one of those Iomega Jaz Drives with SCSI interface. When I upgraded from my Mac II :) to my iMac (Tangerine model) :), I had to buy a SCSI-to-USB-adapter. Connected as you have described above, the iMac was able to see the Jaz Drive as a external HD.

Not sure if they still sell devices like that. Maybe anyone around here can help you.

By the way: If you try this solution, don't forget to terminate the SCSI chain correctly; it's a fragile solution.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Your best bet might be finding one of those AppleTalk to Ethernet bridge boxes. Not sure if they're made anymore. You would then need an Ethernet crossover cable for connecting the two Macs, or a hub and a conventional Ethernet cable. Another possibility is a null modem connection, which is more challenging technically.

Actually, it does -- an AAUI Ethernet connector. Not sure where or if they can be found.

8. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68010

Well, I backed up my Centris files unto a couple of zip disks, with the intention of then getting them onto my PC laptop (I could then get them into my Mac Pro via an external drive). Unfortunately, I can't find my old parallel cable to connect to the laptop! Damn :( I hope they still sell those :D

9. ruftytufty macrumors member

if you can't find your parallel cable, you may be able to find a local desktop-publishing shop/internet cafe that has a zip drive connected to one of their computers. if so, go in and burn your files to a CD, or to floppies, or zip and email them to yourself (depending on size).

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

11. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I agree the AAUI is the best option but the AAUI port was an option on the Centris 650, so it may not exist on the machine in question.

Another (more expensive) option would be a SCSI drive enclosure.

Hey OP, can you take a pic of the back of your machine?

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Are you sure? According to MacTracker, the Centris 650 had an AAUI port. Most Macs made during this time period did.

13. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

USB Zip drive

Hwo about a USB Zip Drive.

I picked up several for $29 a few years ago.

If push comes to shove,you could send me the zip disk and I can burn you a CD.

But, there has to be a USB Zip drive in Boston...

14. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Yes

15. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

This is what I was going to suggest. USB Zip drives are relatively easy to come buy. I have a SCSI Zip drive hooked up to my System 6 Mac II, and can copy files from it using a USB Zip on an OS X Mac. In fact, this is the only viable way I've found to get files onto/off of my Mac II at this point (it doesn't have ethernet and uses 800K floppies).

16. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68010

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions, guys! All I really need is a parallel cable to connect my Zip drive to a PC -- by far the least expensive solution. If I don't find it in my attic or basement, I'll just bum one off the IT dept at work. They gotta have one lying around somewhere :D

17. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

If your zip is SCSI Zip using a parallel cable won't work.

It seems that there where some models that would swing both ways, but I'm not sure. Maybe one called the Zip Plus...IIRC.

18. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68010

Yep, the one I have is a SCSI/prallel combo.

On a different note, it seems like yesterday that Zip disks where the hottest thing. Now you can get a $20 flash card that holds 5 times more stuff than a zip disk, is 100 times faster and weighs about 1/500th of what a Zip drive weighs. How does Iomega stay in business? :confused:

19. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Then the cable that came with it should work for both.

20. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68010

Damn, I think you’re right! I just assumed that because I'm connecting to Centris' SCSI port and because there is another out port on the Zip drive (which I guess is there only for daisy-chaining) that I needed to connect a parallel cable to the other out port. It's been so long since I used this Zip drive -- I simply forgot how to. Thanks!

21. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Ta Da

Great.

I think I have one laaying around here somewhere. I was about to go look to make sure what I was telling you was right.

Good luck.