Transferring files from my old macbook....

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by asaad, Jan 8, 2011.

1. macrumors member

I just bought a Macbook Air, and was wondering could I use a usb to usb cable to transfer my files? What are my options? Thanks!

2. macrumors P6

Intell

I suggest an external hard drive. If you don't already have one, get one. They are nice to have in the event you need to transfer a huge file or to backup your current machine. If you go get a new one, format it with HFS+/HFS Extended, not NTFS or FAT.

3. macrumors 603

Target disk mode only works over Firewire, not USB.

For an Air, I recommend using a fast USB external hard drive to copy files.

But, if you have lots of time, you can also enable file sharing on the old Mac's disk, mount the shared drive on the new MacBook, then copy over wifi.

4. macrumors member

I'm in the same situation.
    I decided to go back to the air and I just ordered one.
    What's the best way to transfer everything ( data and software).
    I've a time capsule. Should I use that function?
    Thanks

5. hfg
    macrumors 68030

hfg

I believe that during the first time startup routine, OS X gives you the opportunity to transfer your files from a recent Time Machine backup of your old computer. This will not disturb the new OS X files which may be critical for your new Mac to function properly if your old computer was not running the latest version of OS X.

The Time Machine backup could be from your Time Capsule, or for faster transfer, from a usb hard drive with a TM backup on it.

6. macrumors member

I used

the Ethernet adapter and transferred the apps and settings from my old machine, then went back and transferred the data using an external HD. The WD ones these days are pretty good, you can get a 1 TB drive for just over a hundred on Amazon

7. macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Very simple really get an external HD and using either SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner backup the old notebook to the EHD. Then when you get the MBA using Setup Assistant and when it asks if you have another Mac answer yes, ensure the EHD is connected and then choose that volume. I did this when I got MBA, the migration went flawlessly.