Transferring files from older iBook...how to?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by PieMac, Aug 17, 2004.

1. PieMac macrumors 6502a

I just sold a friend of mine my 700 Mhz iBook. She currently has an older (aqua color) iBook circa 1999-2000. I just looked at the specs of this machine and there is only a CD-ROM and a USB port...no firewire, no CD-RW. How do we transfer her files to the new iBook? Seems odd that there would be no way to do this.

Also, does anyone know off-hand, if her older iBook is capable of running an older version of OSX? It would appear that it meets all the requirements except minimum RAM (I think she has the stock 32 or 64 MB RAM installed).

Thanks for any and all help!

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I don't know exactly how to do it, but there should be a way to network the machines together using a standard ethernet cable (or maybe a cross-over cable or hub set-up).

Or find yourself a USB Zip Drive.

3. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Just set up a network connection between the the Macs using an ethernet cable. You don't have to worry about what type of ethernet cable, cross over cable etc, as the Mac will just recognise the cable plugged in and adjust accordingly.

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

Don't be offended if this is too simplistic, but make sure that you have Sharing enabled so that the Macs can see each other (or, at least, one can see the other).

5. mms macrumors 6502a

If it has USB, then it should be able to run Panther, IIRC. Just max out the RAM and it should be somewhat usable for the average user. If you're going with OS X, use Panther since it seems to be the fastest even on older machines. However, unless you really need to, I would recommend staying with OS 9 with it, since it seems to be snappier on old computers. Whatever system you run, you should probably add RAM anyways. Stock isn't enough. I'm guessing this is the computer:

http://www.apple-history.com/frames/body.php?page=gallery&model=ibook

6. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Ethernet cable--and it doesn't have to be a crossover cable since the 700mhz iBook will sense what kind of cable you have.

As for OS X, the older iBook will run Panther if you give it enough RAM. It won't run it particularly fast, but good enough for surfing the web, email, and word processing.

7. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

crossover cable needed?

I'm pretty sure you need a crossover cable or a hub since the earlier iBook will not recognize what kind of cable it is. I had to use an ethernet hub when I was transfering data from my old Bondi iMac which was in the same situation as your computer (no CD-R or firewire), to my 800MHz 17" iMac. Here is a link to a page with a list of computers that need crossover cables and those that do not. But this is the way to go to transfer your data. Good luck.

edit: after re-reading the linked to page, maybe only one of the computers needs to be able to recognize what kind of cable it is, but i'm not sure.

8. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

But the newer one will. I've done this, it'll work. But if you're putting together a cable collection then a crossover is a good thing to own. They come in handy sometimes--just not usually when you're working with Macs.