Transferring files on MSN Messenger

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Wilson, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Wilson macrumors regular

Even since I made the switch to mac from pc (about 3 years ago), I've always had problems transferring files. Sometimes I would only be able to accept files and sometimes I can't send or receive. Now, I've just installed MSN Messenger 4.0 on Panther and I'm having problems still.

When I try to send, I get this message "We could not send this file because the connection is blocked. Please contact your network administrator or Internet service provider; they may be able to enable file transfers."

How do you "unblock the connection"? Can somebody please help me out.

Thanks.

2. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I can never get transfers to work reliably between anything but mac ichat to mac ichat.

3. rock6079 macrumors 6502

i have the exact same problem.., but when i use msn with birtual pc i have abolsutely no problem watsoever either way.. it could b that they use different ports maybe, and the mac one isnt automatically opened, or something to do with osx's firewall if u have it on, but i know that i dont have it on . n e wase i haver the same problem so if n e one knows how to fix it let us know ....

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i get this problem a lot when i am in university, but not so much when im on a home or office network without a proxy.

that said msn 4 is a sad excuse for a messenger program.

5. Wilson thread starter macrumors regular

Seems like a lot of people are experiencing the same problem. I'm sure there is a solution. :confused:

Using Msn Messenger is just the most convenient way for me to send files to my pc user friends. It gets really annoying when I can't send or receive anything and have to resort to compressing the file small enough to send over email.

Someone please help!!!

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

My theory: MSN Messenger 4.0 for MacOS X uses ports that are not open on your router. You are going to have to identify the ports that you need. Then you are going to have to open them.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It works fine for me, now that I've opened the ports on my router. The only time I run into problems is when the person at the other end has all their ports closed too.

8. Wilson thread starter macrumors regular

How do I open the ports on the router? I have a linksys, and that's about all I know about my router. :confused:

How come PC users never come across this problem? Is it only mac users that have their ports closed?

Thanks.

9. adam1185 macrumors regular

msn messenger for the mac is just plain ****ty. Before when I was on the pc I could transfer files just fine. As soon as I got the mac version I could only transfer files to certain people. So now I ditched msn messenger and downloaded adium and now I can send files no problem :D

Just a suggestion

10. rock6079 macrumors 6502

yeah they must use diffrent pots becuase nowi just use vpc all the time to go on msn. it might seem like a waste, jsut to use a messenger, but msn is alot better o n winowz then on mac. and file transfers or any other type of communication works fine . i also find that on the mac i getg kicked off the network a lot wheres on vpc the connection is always fine