Transferring Files to New Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rsamo, Mar 3, 2005.

1. rsamo macrumors member

Feb 15, 2005
    Any information on this topic would be appreciated.

I will be getting a new Mac sooner rather than later and I want to transfer most, but not all of my files to it. I've read about something that Mac does now when you originally boot up that askes you if you already own another Mac and if so will transfer the data from the old one to the new one.

How does this process work? Does it literally transfer everything? Would I be better off booting up then hooking up the two computers and only transferring the specific files I would like?

Where can I find some of my files such as bookmarks, addresses, ical apptmts, etc?
  2. madrobby macrumors regular

May 3, 2003
    The feature works like this:

Connect the old mac with Firewire in Disk Target mode, so it works like an external harddrive (hold T while booting).

The wizard asks you what files and settings to transfer, including all preference settings, all applications and all your data in your user folder.

So, yes it will transfer everything, and everything will work as on your old Mac. I'd say you should delete unwanted files after this process.

The wizard will guide you through all of this, of course.