Transferring from iBook to iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by elliotay, Oct 14, 2002.

1. elliotay macrumors regular

I've got a flat-screen 800 mHz iMac and a 500 mHz iBook and I use VPC on the iBook to download music. Anyone know the best way to connect the two computers so I can transfer the data between them? Firewire maybe? But I've connected them and I know how to use one as like an external hard drive for the other, but the requires restarting. I also have an iPod, but I can't get the iPod to mount or even be recognized when I plus it into my iBook. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. gbojim macrumors 6502

Connect them with an Ethernet cable, enable file sharing on one of them (doesn't matter which one), browse to the shared drive and copy.

3. elliotay thread starter macrumors regular

I thought about that and I can't because I'm using the ethernet port on my iMac to be plugged into the wall. My iMac is also serving as an airport base station to send a signal to my iBook. Any other ideas?

4. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

USE FIREWIRE!

Last time I checked FireWire is faster than ethernet! Use FireWire Target Disk Mode. You can use a regular 6pin to 6pin FireWire cable to transfer file between two Macs. Here is how to do it (it explains everything): http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583 Just go to the link; it will explain it better then I can :p :rolleyes: I hope I have helped! :D

5. elliotay thread starter macrumors regular

Yea I tried the firewire method, but it only works for me if i restart both computers. That takes far too long. Even restarting one computer seems silly. I was hoping for some alternative method.

6. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Why not make a computer to computer connection via Airport?

7. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

sounds like its time for you to set up a network... get a hub or a switch a swith is better. You can pick up a 4 port switch for under $50. Plug one port into the wall, one into your iMac and one into your iBook. Do you have an internet connection for your iBook? You may want to get a router with a built in switch if you cant just get an IP from a DHCP server for both computers and just usinging a switch.

-evildead