Transferring harddrives

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by pishnaris, Mar 28, 2002.

1. pishnaris macrumors newbie

Is there a simple technique for transporting a boot drive from one G4, to another G4 having different processor speeds?

I'm wanting to keep the programs and configurations that I have on my G4 450 to a new G4. I really don't want to rebuild the system as to programs that live on the drive, updates that I've done and all that.

In the PC world, an xcopy might do it. What's the best way with OS 10?

Thanks,
    Pish

2. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Dirt Simple:

Just physically swap the drives. As long as you have the same type of drives (ATA or SCSI) and the drive jumpers give a unique HW adress on that particular chain yer cool. Macs arent as fussy as PC's. I've moved HD's around between several Macs. Works fine. As long as the actual Hardware is happy the machine doesn't care at all. From 1 G4 to another is EASY as long as both drives are ATA. Just switch the jumper config on the drive you're moving to whatever the existing drive isn't (Slave if it's master master if it's slave).

3. pishnaris thread starter macrumors newbie

Grassyass

I was kinda hoping it was 'dirt simple', or even simpler than that...thanks for the assist.

Are you betting on a new machine at MWNY? I cancelled my Dual Ghz, betting on the come. I can wait a bit, 'cuz I'd sure hate to buy the last 133mhz bus machine.

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I've done it a few times....not with X though....

but it's all the same....the System Profiler can tell what it's on no matter how many times u switch the hd from box to box...

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

If you have any doubt about it working, set your old drive as a slave to the new machine's main drive. Then slide all your files and applications to the new system. Copy over your preferences to the new systems master drive and then launch them (also check for extensions under OS 9.x if the application doesn't create them on a first run). I did something close to this when I sold my G4 tower :(.... I was able to put the hard drive from the system the new owner was upgrading from (dead powercomputing system) into my computer at work and put everything onto two cd's. I then moved all of that to the new drive and launched the software to confirm that everything took. It did, and she has been LOVING it ever since. Doing it that way, you can use the newer systems hard drive inside it (could be faster, probably is larger) as well as use the old system with it's drive.

With my TiBook going out to Apple earlier this week, I was wishing that I still had my tower. Since it will be going in again, I REALLY wish I still had my tower. I will be sending it in again on Monday, so at least I get to use it this weekend. I started a thread about this, mainly about how great the Mac OS is compared to windblows.

OS X beats win2k in every way that counts... hands down. No doubts, no questions, nothing.