transferring ITMS songs to PDA?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by hpeezy, Dec 5, 2004.

1. hpeezy macrumors newbie

although i've browsed the US store and read lots about ITMS, i'm in canada so i'm new to actually BUYING songs off of it. i bought my first one tonight, and after it downloaded, i tried to transfer it to my palm tungsten e (that does play mp3's) but was unsuccesful. i'm guessing this is due to the file format, but of course, itunes didn't let me convert the song to a "real" mp3 either.

is this one of those "security features/limitations" i've been reading about?? and does anybody know how to get itms songs transferred to a palm device???

2. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

hey,

itunes is the only app that will play 'protected' itunes music files - i.e. files you download from the store.

if you really want to get around this - you could burn the songs you want onto a cd and then re-rip them. i'm not sure of the legalities of this, but 'm pretty sure it's not legal. still, it's not as bad as downloading from p2p.

once you re-rip it into a format such as mp3, it will play on your pda.

hth,
    asif

3. hpeezy thread starter macrumors newbie

smart thinkin. i hadn't thought of that.... still quite a hassle, but oh well.

thanks.

4. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

The native format for iTunes isn't MP3, although it can play MP3 files of course. Apple chose Dolby Labs' AAC format, which appears to be superior (MP3 is rather long in the tooth, and there are quite a few better choices available anymore). iTunes uses AAC with a DRM wrapper. If you rip your own CDs to iTunes they will also be in AAC by default; although those will not include the DRM wrapper - you can change the settings so iTunes will rip to MP3 though.

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

You can also import the song into iMovie, and it will convert the track into an uncompressed aiff file. Just get the file out of the iMovie project folder and reimport into iTunes and convert to mp3. I would of course still hang on to all of the Protected AACs from the store.

6. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

wow, I hadn't heard of this one before - thanks for the tip! :)

not that i would do anything illegal of course ;)