Transferring MP3's to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tv boy, Jan 19, 2007.

1. tv boy macrumors newbie

Hi there all,
    Just wondered if anyone can help...
    I'm thinking of switching to a mac, but have all my MP3's on my PC - and I'm thinking about how I can transfer all my music accross.
    One method I've thought that will work is to burn them all onto MP3 CD's (unfortunately I don't have a DVD burner), and then pop them into my new mac to rip.

Will this work? Or is there perhaps a better way?

Many thanks,

Robbie

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Have you got a memory stick you can use? its much faster and can hold a lot more than a CD

3. gnasher729 macrumors Pentium

gnasher729

If your music is in iTunes, burn it on Data CDs. Advantage: It will burn everything, for example if you have some AAC files. MP3 CDs can only contain MP3s. And that way you have a backup, and you should always make backups of things you don't want to lose.

4. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Use a flash drive or external hard drive rather than discs. It saves wasting discs and it's much faster. Just drag the folders with your music to the drive then add them to your new library.

5. Keirdre macrumors member

I'd use an external usb / firewire drive, and this is what I plan to do next week when I switchn.

They're pretty cheap these days, and they're really useful.

6. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

why not just link them up with some cat5?, assuming the PC has an ethernet port of course :)

7. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Do you have a network in your house? Does the PC have a network card? There are a couple of ways to do it, but If you have a network (Wireless or Wired) its very easy to set up the PC to share a drive and have the Mac connect to it. Then you can just copy everything over. You can even FTP everything if you really want to.

I think there's even a way to do it over USB, you could probably find the answer on this forum, just do a search under the forum section.