Transferring music to external HD

Discussion in 'iPod' started by the_freddinator, Nov 26, 2005.

1. the_freddinator macrumors regular

Aug 13, 2005
    SE PA
    I run a winXP machine and the internal HD is getting pretty full (70 of 80gb). I've got about 12gb of music for iTunes and I'd really love to move that over to my external drive (250gb Lacie) some time soon. Any ideas of how I could do this?

Thanks in advance
  2. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

Mar 19, 2005
    Perth, Oztrailya
    Simplest way: drag your iTunes folder, containing the music files and library, to your Lacie drive. Then, open iTunes preferences and tell it where to look on the Lacie drive for your iTunes library. When it has found it (check it is playing the files from the external rather than your internal), you may safely delete your files from the internal drive.
  3. alexstein macrumors 6502a

Aug 23, 2004
    Yes what he says!^^^

Before deleting the master library on your hard drive shut down/restart your machine and make sure that itunes looks in the right location for your music. I'm only saying this cause I had a little bit of trouble doing the same thing on my XP machine. Better save then sorry.
  4. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Oct 16, 2004
    Peoria/Chicago, IL
    Well as both of them said just make sure that everything is working fine before you delete the music off the internal drive. I remember a friend deleting it right away and having problems after that.