transferring music

Discussion in 'macOS' started by luminosity, Mar 29, 2007.

1. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

What's the best way to transfer music files/iTunes library from an old mac to a new one?

I used a USB drive to transfer stuff, but iTunes ended up making a copy of every file, so everything was doubled up. I just deleted everything.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't know what you mean by everything doubling up, unless you copied M3U files across... The easiest way to transfer an iTunes library is to consolidate the library to one location (done by default) in the iTunes Preferences. Then, copy the entire iTunes folder across with the associated iTunes data files, hold OPTION on the new computer and select this new library. Remember to de-authorise your old computer from any iTMS purchases. :)

3. luminosity thread starter macrumors 65816

luminosity

Do I need to have my computers connected for that? What's the actual mechanism for it, so to speak?

4. dr_lha macrumors 68000

You can connect two Macs using a Firewire cable, and put the old one in Target Disk mode, then use the Migration Assistant to move all the files over from the old to the new, music included.

Or you could just copy the contents of the Music folder if you just want that.

Firewire cable you need can be purchased for cheap at monoprice.com, or goto Bestbuy and buy it for 10x the cost.

5. luminosity thread starter macrumors 65816

luminosity

What set of firewire pins are the iBook and MBP?

6. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Both are 6 pin.

7. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

What if you want to do this from a pc to a mac and keep all of the library information the same and are trying to just transfer everything to the mac?