transferring my os, softwares and configs?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by mlecho, Nov 12, 2004.

1. mlecho macrumors newbie

Scene 1:just bought a new 15" powerbook from apple refubished (G4, 512Ram, 1.25ghz). It comes with 10.2.7, and a note that says an update disk will also be included. My guess is that this disk is NOT panther.
    I will upgrade this ram with another 512, if possible.

scene 2: i currently own an ibook g4 (640ram, 800mhz), with 10.3.6, purchased last year.

Options: i have heard about something called "firewire, setup assissitant" which i can use to transfer all my software and preferences/configs to the new powerbook. I have also heard about carbon copy cloner.

Dilemma(s): file transfers are not my issue...software and os are the issue...will the os transfer as well with one of my options? Or will that mess up the powerbook?can i use my ibook os disks to make the upgrade? Or is that not legal (which is my guess)? Finally, will ihave to bust out all my software disks to reinstall, or can i really save myself days of work?

i am wondering how/if i can transfer all my preferences/configurations/and applications to my new computer, from my old iBook, in the least costly way, of course.

ideas?
    thanks-

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...the upgrade disk they send you should be 10.3.x. What I would do is when you get the Powerbook, do a clean install of 10.3.x (assuming they send it) and update it as necessary. Then connect your iBook via firewire and run the new setup assistant/transfer. That will transfer all your accounts and prefs and you should be good to go....oh yeah!

3. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Get a firewire cable and link your powerbook the ibook. Start the powerbook holding the T key. THis will boot up in target mode (hard disk appearing on the ibooks desktop). Then, use carbon cloner to send your entire ibook setup onto the powerbook. It will leave your ibook intact + it will give you time to test the powerbook. I bet 99% it will work.

http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

Hope this helps.

4. ichiroboston macrumors newbie

It works just fine, I would just make sure both computers are on the same version of OS-X.

You can force the Transfer utility to run, just run the Setup Assistant in your Utilities folder of the new computer when you are done upgrading the OS.

You might have to re-install some programs like Palm or Norton Antivirus.
    Also the utility does not transfer anything from Library/Webserver/

I agree with the previous poster, I have used CCC to clone the setup... BUT I have run into some problems if you have both computers on the same network.

Ichiro