Transferring my Stuff to my New Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Alasta, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Alasta macrumors regular

Alasta

Hi, all.

I'm planning on replacing my aging iBook G3 in the next couple of weeks, and I'm starting to think about how I'm going to manage the transition to my shiny new iBook when I finally buy it.

I understand that I can shift my documents, pictures and music folders over simply by copying them into my home folder on the new machine, but what about things like Safari bookmarks, address book, etc? Would this all be taken care of if I were to also copy over the library folder to the new machine, or could that potentially cause problems (bearing in mind that the old machine is running X.2 and the new one will be running X.4)?

With regard to the process of copying files between the two machines, I'm guessing that Airport would be the quickest and easiest way to achieve this. If I have the two machines switched on and within range of each other, will I be able to easily copy files between them, or is there some sort of configuration required in order to do this?

Any comments, suggestions or experiences would be much appreciated.

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Check out the awesomeness of Apple:

When you first turn on your new iBook/PowerBook/Whichever new mac you decide to get, a startup wizard will come up.

blablabla fill in info, you'll get to a "do you want to transfer over settings" thing.
    plug the two computers together via firewire and you're set! It'll transfer EVERYTHING! preferences, saved passwords, etc.

reason #19293 to love Apple. :)

3. Alasta thread starter macrumors regular

Alasta

Thanks for the quick reply. It appears as though this is going to be easier than I thought! Unfortunately, I don't have a firewire cable handy, but I guess it'll present me with some option to transfer over Airport of regular ethernet.

4. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

It only works with Firewire. You can get a 6-pin to 6-pin Firewire cable for $5 on newegg.com.

6. yenko macrumors 6502a

Go buy one.

NOW!

You'll thank me later. :D :D :D

7. tivoboy macrumors 68030

is there a way

is there a way to do this in ADVANCE, sort of SAVE all the settings and information and then import them to the new mac?

I have a mac, that is getting replaced. I don't think they are going to let me keep both, and I want to transfer the settings, bookmarks, email setup, mail messages, etc to the new mac.

8. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I believe you could use Carbon Copy Cloner to make a complete clone of the Mac's hard drive to an external drive. Then hook up the external when it asks you to hook up your old Mac. Presumably, setup assistant wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a Mac in Firewire target disk mode, and an external Firewire hard drive with a complete bootable clone of a Mac on it.

9. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

you could always just use a USB key or burn CDs...

10. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

I just did this a couple of hours ago to transfer my stuff from my PB to my new iMac.

FW to new iMac from the target disk'd PB. it is like transferring over your HD. Except you still have to do updates.

I guess I need to update my sig. :)