Transferring old itunes to new computer

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rresper, Mar 27, 2006.

1. rresper macrumors newbie

Mar 27, 2006
    I just received my macbook pro, and I'm trying to transfer my old tunes to it. I know I can just drop the folder in itunes; but I wanted to know if there is a way for me to keep all my play list the same. Without having to reenter each one. Thanks for your help in advance.
  2. treblah macrumors 65816

Oct 28, 2003
    Set the iTunes Music folder location to the same as you old computer and copy over the entire directory. (iTunes:preferences:Advanced:General tab) That will transfer all your playlists and ratings, ect.

Most likely: /Macintosh HD/Users/Your username/Music/iTunes
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Yeah, Apple agrees with treblah. They say to use an iPod but anything will do, so long as you have the space. :)
  4. rresper thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 27, 2006
    Thanks for the help: but quick question. Someone mentioned you can do it with an ipod, could one please explain. Thanks
  5. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

Jun 17, 2003
    The way to use an iPod is explained on the Apple site linked by a previous poster. iTunes does not let you sync music from your iPod back to iTunes so there is no automatic way to do this.

You need to copy the correct folder from one machine to another. One way to do this is to use an iPod as the hard drive to hold the iTunes Music Folder while you transfer the folder to the new machine. However the easier way to do this, assuming both machines have firewire ports, is to use target disk mode.

Shutdown your old Mac and then power it up while holding down the 'T' key. The machine should boot to a screen showing a bouncing firewire symbol. (Make sure the old machine is connected to the power adapter if it is a laptop.)

Connect a firewire between the old machine and the Mac Book Pro. The hard drive for the old machine will show up on the Mac Book Pro desktop. Now you can drag and drop your music folder from the old machine to the new one. If you have not changed the default music folder settings in iTunes on the old machine then you need to copy the contents of the Music folder in your home account across to the Music folder in the home account on your Mac Book Pro.

When the copy finishes, drag the icon for the old computer's hard drive to the trash. Disconnect the firewire cable and reboot the old computer.

If you have changed the default music folder settings then you will need to first open itunes on the MBP and change the music folder location setting to match the location used on your old computer. Then, quit iTunes and copy both the contents of the Music folder in your home account *and* the contents of folder that you have specified as your music folder location from the old machine to the MBP.